News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1050 First Ride link(s)

Started by wonko the sane, December 04, 2006, 08:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonko the sane

The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

Stretch

Thanks for the link.

Quotea more-efficient, remapped ECU gives the Tiger the same roaming range on this smaller fuel portion.

So much for the nay-sayers lamenting the loss of a gallon...

Not a good omen...

"Compared to the old Tiger, the 1050 is a new breed of cat. This Tiger doesn't go in the woods, nor does it pretend to have any off-road prowess"

"Nope, a Tiger can't change its stripes, but Triumph has completely changed its Tiger. For the better"

Oh well... I guess the dual sport crowd isnt a big enough market for the english. I hope this does not screw up my support.

wonko the sane

I had mentioned once that if Triumph changed the Tiger, I'd hoped they'd keep the long-travel suspension for the plush ride.  I also said if they also made a more off-road oriented, lighter bike, I'd be interested in both bikes.  Granted, the new suspension doesn't have as much travel as the older bikes', but it is longer-travel than most sport-tourers.  I want to test-ride one first, but so far, I'd say  Triumph is at least close to the mark.  First up, a test-sit in January, then probably a test-ride next spring.  Then, I just have to sell the idea to SWMBO.

Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. :D

A 675 powered dual-sport?   Better yet, powered by a 450 parallel twin?  Hmm. 8)

St. Augustine

Stretch

I'm still planning on putting knobbies and Happy Trails bags on an '07.  Regardless of how it's being marketed, I believe that it has the makings of a great adventure bike.

As off-road capable as a Steamer or a Girly?  No, I won't go so far as to make that statement.  But I do believe the '07's can be tweaked into being a very good dirtroad-capable touring bike.

I'll check one out in person in February when the Cycle World International show comes to town, then arrange for test rides when the dealers start getting them in.

wonko the sane

Quote from: "Stretch"I'll check one out in person in February when the Cycle World International show comes to town, then arrange for test rides when the dealers start getting them in.

Errm... I looked at exhibitor lists for two of the California shows, and Triumph wasn't on them.  Exhibitor lists are not available for all shows yet, including the Georgia and Chicago (nearest me) shows.

The last I heard, Triumph was still boycotting the shows because of a disagreement with the Teamsters Union.  :smt071

St. Augustine

Stretch

No joke?

Crap.

Well, I'll hook up with one eventually.  My brother-in-law dropped by this afternoon on his brand-new BMW R1200GS Adventure, so I'm jonesin' big-time for my new Tiger.

wonko the sane

So far, Triumph's website only has June and July's Demo Truck schedules.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/1503.aspx

The June schedule shows the truck at The Hoot in Knoxville, TN June 20-23 2007.   You'd have to put up with the downside, (limited, expensive motel rooms, etc.) for a test ride, but this rally gets high marks from attendees year after year.  Plus, you could test ride other makes too, and do some comparison shopping. :D

The Demo Truck will be going around to a lot of dealers, but I found this year that I needed to be at the dealer before the official start time to even have a chance of riding a Tiger.  Obviously your best bet is to find a friendly dealer willing to let you test ride what IMHO will be one of the most desirable new bikes this year.  With Triumph's USA headquarters in Georgia, it seems you should have an easier time getting a test ride than anywhere else. :roll:

St. Augustine

wasions

My dealer stated the reason Triumph wasn't at the IMS-Chicago this year was that they couldn't justify the bux.  To compete with the bigs on that level takes way more dollars than they're willing to commit.  Thus - the truck.  I got my first Tiger ride off the truck in November of '03.  Sold me!

I'm hoping we're back on the schedule for this year.  I've had a friend at work the other night tell me that Triumph is now making a bike he could like - the new Tiger.  Go figure.  What I thought was a hopeless marketing ploy will probably redeem the marque.  Y'know, if they weren't so darn proud of their t-shirts, they'd probably sell more bikes.  ("What th' heck kinda bike is a Triumph, anyhow?")
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

wonko the sane

Over on AdvRider, someone said they sat on a 1050 Tiger at the Long Beach, CA. show.  That bike must have been brought in by South Bay Triumph - a local dealer.  

Since the bike is supposed to be available at my local dealer in January, and the show is in February, I'm planning to just go to the dealer - guess I'd better call this week, in case he already has one.  Of course, I'll go to the show too, maybe they'll have trials demonstrations. :shock:

St. Augustine

wonko the sane

St. Augustine

bloaker

There is one sitting on the floor at our Norfolk VA dealer.  I have sat on it and looked at it closely.  I like it, but I wish it was called the Sprint RS, just like the old street going half faired bike...

Stretch

Thanks for the link, Wonko.

Can't wait to throw a leg over one...

...and more!

Advwannabe

Thanks Wonko,

My only question mark is his comments about the gear box. The 955 needs more of a shove than a Suzi to go into gear and I think this is what his beefs about. Is it that much of a problem?

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

wonko the sane

Here's a link to a website I'd never heard of before.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php? ... Itemid=126

More carping about the gear-box, and you have to ignore the author's use of the wrong word from time to time, as well as numerous cat analogies; but more information is...um, well... more.

St. Augustine