News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer ignition coil trouble

Started by CrashDBad, December 31, 2006, 08:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDBad

300 miles into a weekend ride, my 98 tiger dropped a cylinder.  I made it home the last 120 miles on 2 cylinders.  Once I pulled the bodywork and tank, cehcked each cylinder and found #3 wasn't firing.  Plug looked okay, just wet with gas.  started tracing back and found the ignition coil was cracked and leaking a red tacky sunbstance.

I checked the dealer and new coil is about $120.  My concern is that it may be a fault elsewhere frying the coil.  I'm not muuch for electrical ( or much else mechanical) and don;t want to test the circuit with a new coil at 4120 a pop.  I'm waiting for Kevin at Baxter cycle to get back in for further troublesooting and see if a used part is available or if i can substitute another coil.  Another tiger owner said they were able to use a chevy coil and it worked fine.  I don't mind plunking down for the triumoh one, but hate to see it fry again if the problem lies elsewhere.

The stock ignition coil is a German product by PVL, part # 1290007.  any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

wonko the sane

Did a search for "coil" and it came up with a lot of hits, including these:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... light=coil

(especially page 2 on this next one)

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... l&start=15

and

and

Hope you find something in these that helps.  Good Luck!
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

CrashDBad

thanks wonko, I had already read those posts.  I'm waiting for Baxter Cycle to re-open tomorrow from the holidays.

CrashDBad

I received a new coil from baxter today.  plugged it in and it started to crackle and smoke, just from turning the ignition on.  My fear is that i need a new ignitor box.  Anyone have a spare? :)

aeronca

what ended up fixing you problem? i'm having a similer thing going on(as dicribed in my post "carbs")
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

CvPiper

Just FYI I work for a Triumph dealer.

We get a lot of the older 885 kit in with running problems, that have similar symptons to fuelling and electrical problems.

Often the coils can test ok, but still cause problems, 8 / 10 times replacement of the coils fixes all problems on them.

I guess they are getting to the age of the coils breaking down especially under load.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

CrashDBad

There was a bad transistor in the ignitor box.  I bought a used one along with some used coils.  Turns out the coils weren't the right spec and it took me awhile to realise it and replace with an oem coil.

PS Sold the tiger and bought a KTM 950 Adventure and no regrets!

RiderX

Quote from: "CrashDBad"There was a bad transistor in the ignitor box.  I bought a used one along with some used coils.  Turns out the coils weren't the right spec and it took me awhile to realise it and replace with an oem coil.

PS Sold the tiger and bought a KTM 950 Adventure and no regrets!

Ha, only I'm the one that bought it and it is running me in circles trying to get it to start and stay running in cold weather!

I tried adjusting the idle/air mixture screws btw. and no joy. Looking at yanking the carbs next and doing the rejetting procedure that nighthawk recommends.

CrashDBad

Hey Randal.  Sorry to hear it's still giving you trouble.  The issues I had with it was a combination of ignition and valve clearance.  Once the valves were adjusted and the wrong coil replaced, it never gave me any trouble.

How many miles have you put on it since leaving AZ?  I'm not sure the jetting is the issue.  It was running fine here in AZ at 1400 ft.  I rode the bike throughout northern AZ a altitudes up to 8k ft.  It ran a little weaker, but never had trouble starting.  I dont know if the jet might be blocked with something.  Also, if it was a hard heavy ride home in the heat,  it might be worth checking the valves again.  Give me a call when you get a chance.

Rick