News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition lock (cylinder) wire connector

Started by GatorTiger, January 02, 2007, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorTiger

Howdy!

The end of November my 2001 955i Tiger started quitting on me. The bike would just go dead randomly and in an instant. No stalling, just off like turning off the ignition.

Troubleshooting:

- clock still running

- turned the key to P => light was on

- horn was honking

- battery connectors were tight

- sidestand switch not loose or what not

After about 45 mins I had the fault narrowed down to the cables that go into the bottom of the ignition lock cylinder. Once I hold them a certain way the ignition would stay on. Move the cable and the bike turned off. I ended up taping the wire in a position that would hold contact and at least made it home ok.

Cheers,

HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

GatorTiger

Well, last night I finally took the time to get the ignition cylinder out... Here is the j-riggin' that I did back then:

Different angle:

Yet another one:

GatorTiger

When the whole part comes out it looks like this:

I'm not going to comment on how this looks!!!  :-D

Anyways... the whole thing is the ignition lock assembly (as above) on one end, a cable tree (about 18" long) and a plug on the other end.

After unsnapping and sliding the rounded end-cap off the lock this is what I saw:

and

Close-up:

One can clearly see the white cable having snapped out of its soldering spot and also having a broken insulation. I'm surprised the riggin' worked and I got home like that!!!!!  :wow:

So tonight i will heat up the good ole soldering iron and get that baby fixed!!! More pics then!!

Cheers,

HG

iansoady

It looks as though the white wire is a bit longer than the others which may have concentrated stress on it. Like you, I'm surprised your jury rig worked but it just shows how desperation can sometimes do the trick.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

GatorTiger

From the amount of solder on the cable it seems it was not a good a soldering sport as the other ones to begin with...

It will be tricky to clean the area without melting any plastic...  :?

GatorTiger

So last night I soldered the wire back in place. Did I mention already that I don't like re-soldering?  :roll:  For some reason when I deal with plumbing I always have some leak somewhere and when I re-solder it doesn't look pretty and I'm always worried that the the spot turns out cold or brittle.

I tried to limit any cable-movement (and consequently stress on the solder spots) by wrapping some electrical tape around the cable to make it sit a bit tighter in the whole of the bottom cap. But one round of tape almost made it too tight to even move the cap back in place.

Guess I will add a multi switch to my spares list so that - should the spot break again in the middle of nowhere - I can at least hot wire the ignition and get somewhere for repairs.

Oh yeah, I was so eager to get it back together that I forgot to take pics of the repaired spot... And I'm not gonna take it apart again...  8)

Ride on!!!!

Cheers,

HG

Stretch

Glad that it was a cheap repair.

Cheers!