News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Burping Coolant

Started by J. Breeze, January 16, 2007, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Breeze

The kitty is burping out a few tablespoons of  coolant when parked after a short ride. There have been prior threads recommending changing the radiator cap but cautioning that involves removing the gas tank.

I'm cheap enough that I would like to do this myself but am concerned I will run into more than I am bargaining for. Any referrals to an online explaination of the proceedure?

iansoady

Assuming you have an efi bike it's easy but a bit of a hassle:

put bike on centre stand

remove indicator pods

remove front seat

remove side panels and tank rear panels

disconnect battery (-ve first)

remove battery

remove battery box (3 Torx screws), sliding off main fuse

disconnect fuel gauge sender at rear o/s of tank

disconnect fuel pump connector from rear n/s of tank

remove fuel fittings from rear n/s tank noting which is which*

remove drain and breather hoses again noting which is which

remove front & rear tank fixings

Make sure handlebars are in straight ahead position, gently lift rear of tank till it clears the cross member then lift the front to clear the bobbins on the frame and withdraw the tank backwards**

Refitting is as they say the reverse - getting all the hoses neat and tidy and not trapped can be a bit awkward but once you've done it a couple of times is no problem.

*you should really fit new O rings when replacing as well as smearing with vaseline or similar.

** best done with no more than 5 litres or so of fuel as it's very heavy and awkward
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

J. Breeze

Even I, poster boy for the mechanically challenged, should be able to follow your directions. Many thanks!

It was really the uncertainty of what the procedure would involve that has kept me from trying to replace the offending radiator cap.

2004Tiger

What year is your cat? 2001 through 2004 had a factory goof which had the hoses at the coolant expansion tank reversed. I.e., the expansion tank drain hose was connected to the fitting designed for the fluid expansion hose, and vice versa. The result of this has been loss of coolant and subsequent overheating at idle. Extensive posting on this subject last year by myself and others, do a search. It boggles the mind that although dealers are aware of it and could correct it at the 600 mile or any other service, some bikes remain afflicted to this day.

To confirm the problem you will have to remove the cowl to expose the expansion tank, blow into the hoses to discern their routing, refit correctly.

I had this problem which otherwise would have been diagnosed as a bad radiator cap. Solved the problem as above and the original radiator cap remains in good condition.

While we're on the subject: Most owners believe that adding coolant (50/50 of course) to the expansion tank will top off the radiator. I have seen this not to be true sometimes. If your expansion tank hoses are reversed as described above, it is physically impossible for the fluid to return to the radiator. Even with correct hoses, it seems that when fluid expands into the tank sometimes it doesn't get sucked back to the radiator (in this case perhaps it is the fault of a bad radiator cap). Also, it is possible that an air volume under the radiator cap can accommodate some expansion and not need the expansion tank, therefore a return to ambient temperature will not result in suction from the tank. If your fluid level is low this air volume is large and the expansion even from overheating may not reach the expansion tank (this happened to me). Keep in mind that the expansion tank is at atmospheric pressure, regardless of a statement to the contrary in the Owners Handbook. On Page 50 of my Owners Handbook there is a note: If the coolant level is being checked because the coolant has overheated, also check the level in the radiator (via the thermostat housing) and top-up if necessary.  Apparently Triumph are aware of the non-suck problem. They must be embarrassed to note that checking the radiator level requires removing the gas tank, something many riders will never do.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

iansoady

Well said 2004Tiger - I had exactly that problem (which is why I am so proficient at tank removal......)

And my VIN is 198874, which is well outside the posted list. It's also, I believe the very last of the black framed models.

To reiterate, the check is to blow gently on the overflow tube, which should exit around the RHS of the swinging arm - there should be no bubbling in the expansion bottle.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

iansoady

Quote from: "J. Breeze"Even I, poster boy for the mechanically challenged, should be able to follow your directions. Many thanks!

I would also recommend getting hold of the factory manual which, although pricey, has saved me the cost many times over.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650