News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cross Eyed Kitty

Started by M.T., January 17, 2007, 03:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.T.

This last weekend I had my front fairing apart to mount a cigarette adapter and thought I would take the time to re-focus my headlights which seem to have come from the dealer aimed woefully low.  I put the bike on the centerstand, aimed it at the wall of my house and proceeded to adjust the vertical adjustment screw (the upper screw) about as far as it would go.  

To tell the truth I'm not really sure how much this raised the beam of light, as the adjustment was such a slow thing it was hard to tell. Anyhow after I had adjusted the lights almost to the end of their vertical travel I decided to call it good and live with whatever I got.  

When I put the fairing back on though, both lights had moved very far to the center, so much so that they seem to be almost behind the fairing in the middle and on the outside I see almost a half-inch of gap.

I'm not sure what I have done wrong- maybe I just need to now adjust the horizontal screws to compensate.

Has anyone else been through this?  What did I miss?
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

iansoady

1. You should really adjust it off the stand and with you sitting on it.

2. The adjusters are a hassle and as you have noted the vertical adjustment also affects the horizontal. I've locked a couple of nuts onto the front of mine so I can get at them more easily.

<edit> I've tried to upload a pic but no joy. Any suggestions?</edit>
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

The trick with this is (as you did) aim at a wall. But, you should've marked where the beam was to start with, with a piece of chalk.

Whether you have it on the stand or not when you fiddle is up to you. It's adjusting it relative to the start point that matters. Then you need to go for a ride and try it out. Then come back to your wall and do some more fiddling. Just make sure you park in exactly the same place every time.

You may have noticed, if you read the handbook, that the book is wrong. Well, mine is anyway. They point to the horizontal adjuster with the thumb wheel on it (lower one). BUT, that's actually the vertical adjuster.  

Anyway, I think they all come from the factory set too low. I certainly had to adjust mine A LOT!

Tonto

Thanks Blacktiger, I must have the same manual as you, fitted the headlamp relays and then spent hours last night trying to raise my headlights so they cover the road ahead better when dipped, the end result looked like an idiot had been playing with the lights, now I know why, Thanks again, I don't feel so stupid now.

noivson

Been there, done that. I find it's easier to change air pressure in the back tire to fix them rascals  :roll:  Been two years chasing 'better' pattern. Changed bulbs. Twice. Now I've got one focused on the outside lane markings and the left is used for driving....Just waiting for some down-time to try again!  but hey it's an adventure bike!  :D
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'