News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Noise

Started by Clemski, January 23, 2007, 09:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clemski

Need some advice, My Tiger is a 03 and 2,000 miles short of it's 36,000 mile service, she gets used everyday, backwards and forwards to work etc. Over the last couple of days, on the initial start up, before going to work and then the journey home, she sounds like a bag of nails for about a minute and a half, and then sounds like her old normal self, sweet as a nut. The question being, is it likely to be the valves becoming noisy and in need of re-shimming or something more sinister that needs looking at now.  Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers Clemski :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Clemski

Apparently the noise is most likely timing chain tensioner, hopefully get it sorted at the service,

Cheers Clemski  :P

It wouldn't be the valve clearances. They would rattle all the time if they were out of adjustment.

Only if the bike has been left for extensive period would they rattle on start up. That's because the oil drains out of the head over time and needs to be fed from the sump on start up.

Cam chain tensioner sounds likely.

NebraskaRat

Check your exhaust mainfold bolts at the cylinder head.  I've had mine come loose enough to turn with fingers and Tiger made very loud ticking/claxking noises for several minutes until warmed up.  Tightened the bolts and it all went away.

Mike

Clemski

Thanks for the replys, I will try the manifold, but as Blacktiger said, Cam chain tensioner sounds the best bet,