News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Spark Plug Wire Question

Started by wilsontiger, November 08, 2006, 04:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilsontiger

I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting an intermittend sputter, after I took the coils and sparkplug wires off.

The bike was running fine before.

After, the bike was acting like it was running on two cylinders, but off and on, but real bad, had to turn around and get the car.

After revisiting every single plug and wire, fired up the bike and it works 99% of the time, but still get this sputter for a split second randomly. I'm thinking its a worn plug wire, as the coils are new Nology. I had a coil melt down about 5k miles ago from a short as the result of the wiring harness under the instrument cluster rubbing against a sharp metal piece causing a short which fried one coil.

One of the main things I did on the second check was align the plug boots so the wire was exisiting rear, and as mentioned above it helped.

I want to redo the plug wires, does anyone know if the clip inside the sparkplug boot can come out? I tried pushing it out, but gave up. I don't want to buy new cables from Triumph, on my other japanese bike, the inside was removable.

Thanks

nightowl

I was having the same sort of problem; only mine would run fine when cold and then start to sputter intermitantly when warmed up.   I read a couple of posts about how the stock Tiger coils were not so great so I bought a set of TT600 coils on ebay.  These mount right on the plug so no HV wires to deal with.   It runs great now.  FWIW   Good luck.

Scott

CrashDBad

Did you check the plugs themselves?

nightowl

I should have answered your question.  I don't think the contacts can be removed from the boots.  They are quite solid steel and securely embedded; as opposed to the brass clips on automotive plug wires.  I noticed mine were not gripping the plugs very tight and tried to pinch with pliers.  Butched one of the boots in the process.   Didn't touch the other two.  I'd sell them cheap if you're interested.    Either way I hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Scott

Rocket Rob

Just had a similar problem with my '95 Tiger....

spluttering at low revs and under load.....

plug No.3 seemed to have an intermittant spark so a new set of plugs and it seems ok..

but....still concerned about the coils although they looked ok when I checked them....