News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Consumption

Started by Lucifertiger, November 09, 2003, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifertiger

I have a 2003 Lucifer red Tiger, with the off road pipe and a few extras, having a blast on it. I ride it pretty hard and have done 7,000 kms. The other day I checked the oil, and to my surprise it had drank a litre of oil since it's first service at 1,000 kms. My question is is 1 litre of oil over 6,000kms ok, (if you ride it hard) or do I have a problem?

I hope someone knows,

Gazza, Canberra Australia :twisted:

Bifffa

I have a '03 Tig, mine uses no oil on normal riding but it seems to burn a lot on fast motorway trips.

I did an 800 mile round trip to the Dutch WSB in Assen back in September and the oil level went down significantly.

This was sustained 100mph cruising and friends I was riding with said that on occasions they could see the bike smoking.

When I fitted the Scott Oiler the other week I had I look inside the airbox and it was pretty oily, so I know the oil is coming up through the breather rather than getting past the rings or valve guides.

I've seen similar posts on other forums complaining of this on the 955 (Tigers and Sprints). It seems to be a trait of the engine.

Biff

WWWWhhhhhoooooooaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Hold on here. I thought the same thing when I first got mine. BUT, I was not screwing the dip stick in when checking the level.

You see, with my BMW, you just rest the dip stick on the threads. With the Tiger you have to screw it in. The difference is around 1 litre.

Lucifertiger

Don't worry had the dipstick screwed in all the way, it was definately using it, interesting to hear the comment that high speed running causes consumption.

Gazza

Bifffa

My Oil filer plug was screwed right in too.

Checkout this link

http://www.t595.net/cm/messageboard/thr ... read=10302

Biff

TREADMARKS

I also need to add a lil oil to mine after hard rides.
A pair of fourtyfives made me open my eyes.-Hollies

Chris Canning

Mine used some oil this year for the first time,but in it's defence we were on the road for two weeks traveling to the Italien GP and then onto Barcelona i don't think the tempreature dropped below 35c for  the fortnight we were away and the motor got a reall pasteing.

Chris

XPADREX

I am not sure about this motor specifically, but many manufacturers of other products consider a quart of oil every 1,000 miles to be Ïwithin specÓ.

It sounds outrageous perhaps, but it is true.

Volkswagen held to this, as has other manufacturers of motorcycles IÌve worked with.

My advice, always, is to use a quality oil (I like synthetics) to be certain that even in low times (when you cannot check your oil), your engine will remain cool and lubricated.

Most systems use an extra amount of oil to compensate for this expected loss, especially in many high-performance applications.

Ever check out the quantity of oil to be used in late-80s Porsches?

:shock:

TREADMARKS

5000 miles on the odometer now.  Will do an oil change this weekend.  Have been using 15w50 mobil 1 vtwin motorcycle oil.  May switch to regular 15w50 mobil 1 red cap automotive this time.

Consumption was right at 1qt for the last 3000 miles.  I havent seen any smoke, and she does not leak a drop.
A pair of fourtyfives made me open my eyes.-Hollies

cward

I dont know too much about the 955 ,but on three different 855 tigerrs (mine included) a 95 98 and mine a99 after installing aK@N air filter all threes oil consumption went from nil to 16-18 oz per 500 miles and these weren't hard miles just 70-80mph cruising  took out K@N af oilconsumption went back to nil go figger cward