News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steering Head Bearings

Started by speedysheep, March 24, 2007, 06:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TucsonBill

Replace both top and bottom bearings with rollers. Mine was worn out on the top, he balls have a lot smaller contact patch than rollers and had nicely dented the race. I replaced them at 24K miles. I just used the dimensions of the old ones to figure out what to replace them with.
Bill

Tucson, Arizona

365 Days of Great Riding Weather!

NortonCharlie

I replaced mine at about 70,000 miles, went with the standard ball bearing up top.  I figure with the ball up top even if the bearings get loose you don't get any play in the front end when there is a load on it, the problem with rollers up top is that if it isn't in perfect adjustment it is either tight making you push into every turn or it is loose even if you have a load on the front end (which is most of the time).  Triumph has a reason for putting a straight ball bearing up top.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

speedysheep

Quote from: "TucsonBill"Replace both top and bottom bearings with rollers. Mine was worn out on the top, he balls have a lot smaller contact patch than rollers and had nicely dented the race. I replaced them at 24K miles. I just used the dimensions of the old ones to figure out what to replace them with.

Do you have the number for the tapered bearing you used on top?  I'd rather adjust them occasionally then replace them every 20,000 miles.
Where am I to go, now that I\'ve gone too far?

Green Geck0

I have all the bearings set but I'm unsure if the bottom one that goes into the frame should be flush or is it supposed to go in further? I think it's supposed to go in more but I can't remember from when I took the old one out.

Anyone remember?

Too many beers....

Curtis Ross

'02 Green

Calgary, Alberta

NortonCharlie

I goes deeper than flush, not sure how much, basically till it seats in the bottom of the bore.  It goes deep enough for the seal on the bearing to seal in the bore.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Green Geck0

Thanks Charlie!

I figured as much. I'll go get the bigger hammer and hit it till it stops.

:shock:

Curtis Ross

'02 Green

Calgary, Alberta

iansoady

You'll find the note changes as the race hits the bottom of the bore from a dull thud to a more ringing sound. At least that's always been my experience with other bikes.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

gilly527

I'm curious about the seal on the lower bearing. There is no seal indicated on the parts diagram, is this seal supplied with the bearing from Triumph. I used the part numbers talked about earlier in this forum and the upper bearing I ordered is useless as I doesn't have the groove cut in it for the circlip, and now I am wondering if the lower bearing is supposed to have a seal supplied with it. I'm beginning to regret going to my local bearing supplier for these bearings instead of just paying the extra for the oem's now that I'm finding out that the oem's (even though they have the same part number stamped in them as the ones I ordered) are different.

My parts guy at my local Triumph dealer says that he has heard that Triumph buys these 6205DU bearings and then has the groove machined into them for the circlip.

Can anyone tell me if the lower roller bearing seal is separate to the bearing? And if it is where can I get another one since it isn't listed in the parts break downs.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Mustang

Ebay

ALL balls kit for 35 bucks has everything you need

gilly527

I had already checked eBay before I purchased and they seem the same as what I got.

I ended up cutting off the lower bearing and damaging the seal that was attached to it.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Mustang

No way.'....'the all balls kits have the seals

gilly527

You're right! They didn't come up when I initially did my ebay search last week so I went with the part numbers earlier in the thread.

Thanks for all you're help! It's on the way! And the upper one is on order with my triumph dealer hopefully it will have the groove cut in it for the circlip.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

pineygroveshop

+1 for allballsracing.com

They sell bearing and seal kits & include a nifty sticker for your tool box.

Cheers,
Stephen