News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steering Head Bearings

Started by speedysheep, March 24, 2007, 06:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedysheep

The steering head bearings on my '05 Tiger seem to have had it.  There's a huge detent in the steering, which means the lower race is probably dented.  22,000 miles seems a little soon for this, most bikes I've had have gone about 50,000 miles on a set of bearings.  Oh well, too many potholes I guess.

Triumph wants about $90 for a set of bearings.  On every other bike I've had I've been able to get roller bearings from a bearing distributor for a fraction of that, given the requisite part numbers (not the Triumph part numbers, the generic bearing part numbers).  I can get that off the bearings after I pull it apart, but it would be nicer to have them in hand when I'm doing the job.  Anyone have the bearing part numbers?
Where am I to go, now that I\'ve gone too far?

speedysheep

Quote from: "zadok_oz"5577170-001 ?

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem-nav~submit_from_stage~4~section_dept_id~1~model_dept_mfr~Triumph~model_dept_name~TIGER.asp

That's the Bike Bandit part number which won't do me much good.  A bearing wholesaler won't know what to do with it.

Bike Bandit's actually where I got my price quote for the OEM bearings, my local dealer will undoubtedly be more.  I can get higher quality bearings for less money with the bearing numbers.

Stretch

I do the same thing regarding bearing suppliers versus factory parts, for the same reasons you have listed.

I dug around on the intyweb, but came up with nothing.

If you do have to pull the bearings in order to get the numbers and subsequent replacements, please post the numbers here, to benefit those of us who may wind up in the same pickle.

Thanks.

Green Geck0

Funny this post should appear. My Tiger is pretty much stripped and hung in my garage right now while I do the bearings.

I will see what numbers are on the old ones & the replacements.

What is the easiest way to remove and replace the existing ones? I have the forks out etc.... but I'm struggling with removing the bearings.

Curtis Ross

'02 Tiger

Calgary, Alberta

speedysheep

I knock the bearings out of the steering head with a hammer and punch.  Shouldn't be hard.  The bearing on the steering stem is sometimes problematic.  I've always managed to drive it off using the same hammer and punch.  Sometimes that's made easier by heating the race with a propane torch to expand it a little bit.  Some people cut it with a dremel tool and break it off.  In a pinch you can haul the steering stem into a machine shop where they'll yank it off in about 30 sec with a specialized bearing puller.

I'd really appreciate the bearing numbers once you pull yours out.  That would make changing mine a bit easier.

Good luck with the job!

Quote from: "Green Geck0"Funny this post should appear. My Tiger is pretty much stripped and hung in my garage right now while I do the bearings.

I will see what numbers are on the old ones & the replacements.

What is the easiest way to remove and replace the existing ones? I have the forks out etc.... but I'm struggling with removing the bearings.

Curtis Ross

'02 Tiger

Calgary, Alberta

99Tiger

Top bearing on a 99 Tiger (might be the same) 6205DU  NSK ENGLAND,

Bottom bearing I could not find a replacement locally ( special application)
Real and lasting Peace of mind is found only in God

06 Tiger

Too many to list

Green Geck0

Okay here is what I have:

Top Bearing

The one on the left is the old one:

NSK 6205DU England 416

The one on the right is the new one:

NSK 6205DU Poland 251

Bottom Bearing

The numbers on the old & the new are the same:

HI-CAP 32006JR JAPAN KOYO

and this is what your Tiger looks like after 60 minutes of wrenching....

Hope this helps!!

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

speedysheep

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote from: "Green Geck0"Okay here is what I have:

Top Bearing

The one on the left is the old one:

NSK 6205DU England 416

The one on the right is the new one:

NSK 6205DU Poland 251

Bottom Bearing

The numbers on the old & the new are the same:

HI-CAP 32006JR JAPAN KOYO

Hope this helps!!

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

GatorTiger

Quote from: "Green Geck0"nd this is what your Tiger looks like after 60 minutes of wrenching....

Holy crap mister!!!!  :shock: What are you doing to your bike???? No wonder you don't have time to finish that Alaska report......  :twisted:

Any ride-ins on your itinerary this year???? :smt030
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

When I did mine I managed to get the taper roller from a bearing supplier but had to go to Triumph for the top ball race. I think I remember the bearing supplier saying that the top bearing was a Triumph specific part (because of the circlip) which they couldn't order. Triumph pt # T3800055.

Advwannabe

Hi Greengecko,

Thanks for posting this info up!

While you've got Tigger apart, I think Marty was asking what size Torx was on the top shock mount bolt a while back.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Green Geck0

Quote from: "Advwannabe"While you've got Tigger apart, I think Marty was asking what size Torx was on the top shock mount bolt a while back.

Looks to be a T-55. By the way.... top is 95 Nm & bottom 48 Nm for torque.

Curtis Ross

'02 Tigger

Calgary, Alberta

Green Geck0

Quote from: "GatorTiger"Holy crap mister!!!!  :shock: What are you doing to your bike???? No wonder you don't have time to finish that Alaska report......  :twisted:

You know how you start one thing and it leads to another, well......it's started. #-o

Quote from: "GatorTiger"]Any ride-ins on your itinerary this year???? :smt030

I really want to snag a Ride-in this year. Not sure when or where. You?

Curtis

GatorTiger

Quote from: "Green Geck0"You know how you start one thing and it leads to another, well......it's started. #-o

Dangerous grounds... Can turn into a never ending story... all the best for all your work!!  :smt023

Quote from: "Green Geck0"I really want to snag a Ride-in this year. Not sure when or where. You?

Won't make the one in June. I'll be in Halifax for work the week before, but cannot make the trip happen as a combination of the two. I might be in the game for ID, though, if only for half a day on Sunday... I have work going on in Helena, MT, the week before and the week of the ride in. Jasper is definitely on my list! Hope to see you there!!!!!
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!