News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel smell

Started by miltos, April 23, 2007, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miltos

Hi guys, sorry-another question..again....but 2-3 days now in the garage it's a smell of petrol from my Tiger'02, saw a small small bit of leake- brown..something spot ( c pic) but anything major.

Something to get worried about???!! Thank you 1 more time, u r great!!!

pic doesnt uploads...
always Triumph

NortonCharlie

Fuel leaks are never good, it is probably something simple but should be dealt with.  It could be dripping from the overflow drain which is there to dump any fuel spilled when filling the tank.  If that is all it is don't worry about it and be more carefull when filling.  

I've had a couple small leaks on mine.  Once was nicking an o-ring when I popped the fuel line back it (real easy to do).  The other time was when I replaced the original plastic fuel fittings with the metal ones from the recall, I didn't cut back the end of the hoses and it started seeping a little fuel.  Cut the hoses back and reintalled and all was OK.  If you can remove the black panel on the left side at the back of the tank, all the fuel lines are visible.  Start the bike and see if you can spot any wetting around the fittings and hoses.  I wouldn't recommend wiggling stuff sometimes that breaks things.  You can also check that the original plastic 90 deg fittings have been replaced with aluminum ones.  If not get it to the dealer and have the recall work done.  The plastic ones will eventually fail and probably 100 miles from where you can get it fixed.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

2004Tiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"...If you can remove the black panel on the left side at the back of the tank, all the fuel lines are visible...

Also remove the black plastic right side panel and inspect the fuel sender gasket and the wire sealant.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

miltos

Thank you very much guys, i'll do inspect. Thanks again :)
always Triumph