News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly exhaust on a Steamer?

Started by harre, May 17, 2007, 11:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a 3-1 exhaust system from a 99/00 Girly on the Steamer? Aren't the engines the same? My guess would be that the collector pipes should fit, but this is just a guess. If it fits, the other question is what needs to be done on the carbs on a 98 steamer?

The reason I ask is that I would like to lower the weight of the bike, and perhaps use Touratech pannier racks with a bigger box on the left side (without exhaust).

Mudhen

Neat idea!  Love to hear how you make out if you try it.

'Patrick' on this list put a 'Venom' 3-into-1 exhaust onto his Steamer.  The exhaust was for a carb'd Daytona, though...as far as I know he just had to modify the 'tube between the downpipes'.

The only other 3-into-1 I've seen is the Czech Dakar bike.

Oh, and when I did a Yoshimura exhaust on my '96 I didn't rejet my carbs.  Everything was fine (assuming your Keihns will react the same as my Mikunis).

Pat
\'96 Steamer

harre

I have read about Patricks 3-1 system and actuallt pointed out this to MOTAD a few weeks ago, asking if they could build a complete system, it would be fairly easy. I got a positive answer, so it is possible that MOTAD may sell a Steamer ready 3-1 system later this summer. If so I will be happy, hopefully the Steamer people will make it worth their while.

Sadly,  even if the build it, I am not sure I can afford a complete system. Perhaps a cheaper way is to find a used  Girly system if that fits... The question still remains .

Pat, your yoshi experience is good news. The less I need to fiddle around with carb adjustments the better.  Welding, grinding, drilling that I can do up to a point. but when it comes down to actually get the engine to work, that's when I throw in the towel...

Harre

Patrick

I am very interested in the answer to this question. Because I have a Girly and a spare sat of downpipes for a steamer...  :wink:

Here a pic of the Motad 3in1 downpipe:

Have fun!

Patrick

harre

According to an owner of a 99 Girly, the engines are different, thus the pipes do not fit the steamer.

I no one else have better info, this means steamer owners will have to follow Patrick's example and use MOTAD systems.

harre

Update. I tried to fit a -94 Daytona (I think) 3-1 collector I bought for $50 from a wrecker (good deal), and it worked. The original right silencer fitted straight on, but on the inside of the collector tube as opposed to outside of the original 3-2 collector. It may be necessary to put clamp on the collector-side to get the connection sealed.
The bash plate fit was wery snug, but it fitted. The silencer is moved about one inch forward, so it is necessary to drill a new hole for the attachment to the frame. Tried to run engine with this setup, but cannot tell if it worked fine since there was something wrong with the engine in the first place, see: http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Weight save will be 6 kg (loose one silencer plus some tubing). Will try this setup if I get her back on track someday. It will be perfect because it leaves room for the tool tube!
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =tool+tube

aeronca

WOW, now thats cool.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Triumphs were built modular back then so almost anything from 93 to 96 is interchangeable to an extent with all the models .
I just put a sprint engine in a friends steamer for him and it was plug and play !

Hooligan

Quote from: "Mustang"Triumphs were built modular back then so almost anything from 93 to 96 is interchangeable to an extent with all the models .
I just put a sprint engine in a friends steamer for him and it was plug and play !
I would love to hear who's Tiger you put the Sprint motor into, my Buddy just bought a Blue Tiger from Seattle with a Sprint motor in it....I swapped the gear link today.....so it works like a Tigers should.
Cheers
W
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mustang

nope NH steamer and it was red

Hooligan

Quote from: "Mustang"nope NH steamer and it was red

How did you deal with the gear lever issue? One up and 5 down.....
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mustang

Quote from: "Hooligan"

I fabricated an extension for the shifter shaft so that extended the shaft out past the footpeg bracket enough to allow me to turn the selector arm over 180 degrees .
As a New Englander would say "works pisser !"

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Hooligan"

I fabricated an extension for the shifter shaft so that extended the shaft out past the footpeg bracket enough to allow me to turn the selector arm over 180 degrees .
As a New Englander would say "works pisser !"

Down in Hillsboro we weren't as educated as you city folk...we typically said 'pissah'...

You guys really kicked the crap outta that job.  Maybe we can all get together for a ride before snow flies. :idea:
\'96 Steamer