News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mistake

Started by worgoose, May 31, 2007, 08:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worgoose

So the starter went south on my new tiger after 750 miles  :( and now it is over two weeks and my dealer says there are no starters in the country . Half the reason I bought a Triumph was to avoid this kind of thing I have always had Italian bike and I got sick of waiting for parts and stupid little things going wrong.

What Ineed to know is this what I can expect  from Triummph or am I just unlucky?
06 Tiger

00 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

WIDGIN

At first I thought you're just unlucky.  I was told a month for a fairing but received it in less then 2 weeks.  

BUT, looking at your sig, I think you're being punished for making the Tiger share garage space with the Guzzi :?  You also lost some karma points by misspelling Triumph.  :shock:   Com'on, you don't really own a Tiger do you?  You're just trolling to upset our little community.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Mudhen

I'd have to say don't read anything into it.  It's a fluke.  I usually get stuff in a week or less...and my bike is old.

Which dealer are you bringing it to?

Luckily the bike is light and you can just bump start it... :wink:
\'96 Steamer

JRO

I had a stator fail on my '06, at 14,500 miles.  One loop was improperly wound.  It took about ten days to get the part, and fix the bike.

I won't lie; I know of a few horror stories about waiting for Triumph parts.  I don't think this is the norm, however.  I might also point out that I can tell personal horror stories about parts/repairs for Suzuki and Yamaha; a couple about Honda.  And some horror-shocker stories about BMW and HD.

Unfortunately, motorcycles seem to be considered 'recreational' vehicles, and dealers just don't stock parts like Ford does.  This is bad, if you are like me, and use a bike as your primary transportation.

I hope you get your part, soon.  As others have pointed out, parts usually seem to turn up in a week or so.  I think Triumph is probably no better or worse than most motorcycle manufacturers.
JRO

2006 Tiger

worgoose

Thanks for all the replys.  I am glad to hear that this is not the norm with Triumph.  

I love riding the kitty and with any luck I will get it back this weekend.

Here in New England we only get about 3 months of really good weather so I am glad I kept my goose as a spare.
06 Tiger

00 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Advwannabe

Hi Worgoose,

No, I don't think you made a mistake. I live in the middle of nowhere but get most parts within a week or so. I'm still waiting for my workshop manual ordered 5 weeks ago grrrr.

There a lot of unfounded rumours circualting about Triumphs. When I announced my intention to buy one a lot of friends came out with stuff like "they're not reliable" Spares are pricey and hard to get" and the like. This is mainly the product of ignorance.

I went and asked a couple of independent mechanics how often they worked on Hinckley Trumps and how hard the parts were to get. The consistent answer is they are very reliable, parts pricing is on a par or a little more expensive than Yamaha and thats parts are not hard to get with the occaisional exception.

Triumph doesn't sell as many bikes as Honda and doesn't have the economies of scale to keep the same range of parts on the shelf. I can deal with it.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

haulin' daze

The guys and girls at Great Bay in North Hampton are great to work with. I'm sure they'll get any part ASAP. By the way, no reason you can't ride your Tiger from late march til early december (unless you're waaaay up in NH).

JRO

If you move farther south, you can ride a lot more.
JRO

2006 Tiger

worgoose

I don't mind riding in the colder months it is just that we don't very much great weather.    

I agree Great Bay is a great dealership my wories were more with Triumph.  But the big kitty is back on the road and ready to roar up to bike week.
06 Tiger

00 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

BeefyUK

Hey you could have the British weather to contend with.... then you'd have something to moan about lol we Brits do.... regularly!

Then again spent 2 1/2 months in Miami (bikeless) Nov-Jan and it was just tooo damn hot!!!

BiggerBikersBounceBetter!

\'00 885i Tiger

\'03 955i Tiger

\'06 955i Tiger...must be addicted by now!

Mudhen

Ya, it's easier to keep warm on a bike than to keep cool...although excesses too much in either direction just suck I guess.

I'm good down to 20...with all my electrics on I've ridden down to 8.  But like worgoose said, it's the snow (or threat of snow) that really puts a wrench in the works.
\'96 Steamer

worgoose

The only nice thing about riding with ice and snow is I am too scared to be cold :shock:

Is any one going to the vintage races on Monday at Loudon
06 Tiger

00 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

TigerTrax

Lesson #1:

Put Baxter Cycle  on your list:  www.baxtercycle.com...

*** But call them ask for Kevin

Lesson #2: Refer to Lesson #1.

They are pure Triumph and lightning quick.

They carry new and salvage parts.

PS: Starter going out is 'freaky' .... sorry man... I'd be pissed too!

Come cry on our shoulder at Wellsboro, PA   June 21-23 2007 at the

Tiger Rally! There will be a bunch of Tigers there.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

worgoose

I already have a camping trip planned for that weekend  :x   It is too bad it sounds like it would be right up my ally.

I am afraid that like you sent me would not go through.  But thank anyway
06 Tiger

00 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Quote from: "worgoose"I am afraid that like you sent me would not go through.  But thank anyway

Try it without the ... after .com