News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help me decide which one...

Started by chromekid01, June 21, 2007, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRO

Quote from: "chromekid01"So for what i want to do with the bike would a FI bike or a steamer be better?

I guess that depends on what you want.  The older, carberator bikes are more off-road oriented.  They're also older, hence cheaper to purchase.  If you're really planning on running off-road, and you don't mind maybe having to spend a little money to get the bike in tip-top shape, buy the older style Tiger.

If you're going to be on the highways more than on dirt roads, or off-road a little, then go for the newer models with FI.  FI bikes are really nice.   They have more power, and start everytime in a split second.  You can still find new '06 models, with warranty, ect..  '05 models have spoked wheels, a bit more rake to the front wheel, and a little longer wheelbase (I think) - something to think about, if you're going to try off-roading a Tiger.

I'll point out that these bikes do weigh 500lbs.  Let's say you weigh 180lbs, and your wife weighs 135lbs.  Throw in 20lbs of gear, and 30lbs of sleeping bags and clothes.  That's 865lbs to have to handle, down a rough track.  There are those who do off-road a Tiger, but most of us don't do any serious off-roading.  With crash bars and knobbies, it can be done, but you can never compete with a guy riding a serious, lightwieght dirt-bike.  You're not going to be jumping any canyons on a heavy, dual-sport bike, so if that's what you have in mind, you'd better back up and rethink.  For riding around on poorly-blacktopped, potholed, Oklahoma country roads, dirt roads, or trails across the pasture, I can verify that an '06 Tiger is fine, in factory trim, and carrying a passenger.  It's a handful in sand or loose gravel, though.  

If you are wanting more serious off-road capability, then you'll have to consider either some upgrades, or a more dedicated off-road bike.
JRO

2006 Tiger

chromekid01

I am not really looking for a dirt bike more a bike that can handle light off road duty 2 up alot better than my Ducati, poor dirt roads, gravel roads, fire trails and such. older and cheaper is prolly better because i am sure to drop it though FI and easy starting is a plus.

How are the 2 up road manners of the steamer? and spoked wheels are a bonus fpor off road riding i am told by our techs.
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

You could always just buy my 05 tiger that still has roughly 21 months or so left on the warranty.  :D

AK Tiger

I think you get the idea fromm the other posts what we think about Tigers.  I rode my '02 from Alaska to So. Cal., to Chicago and all points in between.  It was reliable as a pet rock excepting a computer failure right at 2 years and a couple of weeks.  Triumph covered the computer but not the labor.  The failure did not strand me but caused the bike to ping terribly no matter what I fed it.  Thanks to Orange County Motorsports in So. Cal. for finally finding it.  I ended up putting 28K miles the bike.

I rode a friend's GS1100 and thought I'd crawled on to a piece of agricultural equipment.  Not impressed.

Unfortunately I also hit a caribou in northern British Columbia that killed the caribou and the Tiger.  After moving to California I purchased a K1200LT BMW for the two-up riding I do (much more comfortable than the Tiger for my sweetheart) but am looking for another Tiger for a trip back up to Prudhoe bay in '08.  Great bike.

Darrell
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)