News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help me decide which one...

Started by chromekid01, June 21, 2007, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromekid01

Ok guys and gals here is my dilema, i want a Tiger or a R1150GS

and have been lenin towards the tiger alot more due to price since thats always an issue.

Now i have a new Ducati Multistrada and that works great for almost everything i want to do, though me and the wife have really wanted to be able to go more off road and explore that kind of stuff as well as do big dual sport rides and rallies.

So the Tiger or GS would be setup with a distinct dirt bias if i purchased it, though i am not sure whether to look for a 955i or older one cause the reading i have done is that the tiger has gotten proggressively more road biased as it has evolved.

Do i buy a earlier steamer? or a 955i?

Also why do they call the steamers steamers?

Thank you in advance.

James
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

burntclutch

Well, you could just ask the GSB Steamer guy. (Tigerrider on that board ;)  )

The Steamer is called that due to its lower tech, more brutal image.

You work at the Triumph dealer though man....so you can get the low down from the mechs there as far as reliable action.

The Beemer has the insane aftermarket though in it's favor.

The older bikes like mine have a certain appeal...things that don't jive can be modified. Mags on the 05 and 06s...

chromekid01

Thank you for the info, sure i work at a Triumph dealer but we all know or should know that getting the info from people that love their bike is always the best method as opposed to guys that simply fix our broken bikes.
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

burntclutch

I hear ya..we are just gonna be a bit more biased here. ;)

They can be built up in to anything you want...best person I would suggest talking to would be Mudhen, though he's a Steamer guy like myself (his is very trick) , he's just gotten a GS...and is getting rid of it.

chromekid01

Quote from: "burntclutch"I hear ya..we are just gonna be a bit more biased here. ;)

They can be built up in to anything you want...best person I would suggest talking to would be Mudhen, though he's a Steamer guy like myself (his is very trick) , he's just gotten a GS...and is getting rid of it.

yeah i saw that on advrider and then here.

If you like your steamer why and do you do any 2 up riding as i will be doing alot of that on the new DS bike that i end up with.
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

Stretch

Quote from: "burntclutch"I hear ya..we are just gonna be a bit more biased here. ;)

Getting rid of the GS or his Steamer?

JRO

If the choice is between a Tiger and a GS, then there's really no choice.  Only a fool would waste money on a BMW, and trust a passenger's life on the back of one.  When the rear-end locks up on that thing, and spills you both all over the place, you can get a nice trip to the intensive care unit, where you can proudly display to the staff your BMW keychain, cigarette lighter, boots, riding suit, condoms, ect..

You can trust Triumph not to kill you, unless you're trying to do that.  BMW will kill you, just because they're poorly engineered.

If you're just wanting to run up a few dirt roads, the Tiger is fine.  If you're seriously wanting to get off-road, I'd recommend you get 2 dirt bikes.
JRO

2006 Tiger

chromekid01

Quote from: "JRO"If the choice is between a Tiger and a GS, then there's really no choice.  Only a fool would waste money on a BMW, and trust a passenger's life on the back of one.  When the rear-end locks up on that thing, and spills you both all over the place, you can get a nice trip to the intensive care unit, where you can proudly display to the staff your BMW keychain, cigarette lighter, boots, riding suit, condoms, ect..

You can trust Triumph not to kill you, unless you're trying to do that.  BMW will kill you, just because they're poorly engineered.

If you're just wanting to run up a few dirt roads, the Tiger is fine.  If you're seriously wanting to get off-road, I'd recommend you get 2 dirt bikes.

I am looking fir the one bike i can use to take me and the wife anywhere we want to go, and as all of you know i am sure the GS is and always has been advertised as the world travelers bike though i suspect that the Tiger woiuld fit the bill as well if not better what do you all think?
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

Stretch

Hey, dude.

BMW was on my short list about a year ago until I really started looking into the GS's reliability issues.  You can look on ADVrider's GSpot or Google all of these for some pretty interesting reading...

Final drive failures (saw one in Fairbanks a couple weeks ago, in fact).

Right cylinder failures.

CanBus issues and total electrical failures.

Rear main seal failures, which kill the clutch disc as well (talked to a guy in Anchorage who had this on his new GSA halfway in from New York).

Clutch spline failure, caused by lack of lubrication (every couple years, you actually have to take the entire rear half of the bike off and grease the clutch splines).

This is the kind of stuff you don't even find on cheaper bikes.  I was quite alarmed to discover all these issues in a bike that runs 16 grand and up.

I kept looking.

chromekid01

Ya know strech your right it does look like a bunch of failures goin on.

we talked a while ago and you i have been leanin towards the tiger,

I wonder though for what i want to do with it if i should  buy an older one or if i should get the 955?

Wanna go for a ride and trade bikes for a while?
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414

burntclutch

The older ones are great and I think more dirt worthy BUT parts will become more hard to come by at some point..plus the FI would be a nice thing to have. :)

Go with the newer ones...your biggest question "To mag, or not to mag"

cbxtc6

My buddy who has an 1150GS rode my bike a few weeks ago.  He now can't believe how slow the beemer is, and how well the Tiger handles.  He's looking at Tigers now.

:D

Advwannabe

Mudhen is probably the best person to give you the Steamer/GS lowdown.

I've never owned a GS but have a few miles on them. In comparison to the Girly tiggers (955i) I think the GS is a little better in slow gnarly muddy (walking pace) going, but that tigger is better for fast dirt, sand and road riding.

You are on a serious mission if you are attempting to ride two up down rough trail on a tigger, the previous posters advice about two dirt bikes has merit if this is the case!

But for all roads riding two up, and getting a bit further off the beaten track on your own, provided you have the strengh, experience and confidence the tigger is a clear winner IMHO

Good luck!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mudhen

Quote from: "burntclutch"The older ones are great and I think more dirt worthy BUT parts will become more hard to come by at some point..plus the FI would be a nice thing to have. :)

+1.  I agree wholeheartedly...except for the FI thing.   :wink:

If you really want a GS, get one.  Tigers aren't for everyone - they're AMO (Advanced Motorcycle Ownership).  Only the smartest, most mature, most talented, most developed, and best looking people own them.  If this isn't you, get the GS.  Because if you're not fully developed (in the motorcycle sense of the word, of course), you're not going to be happy with your purchase and you're going to feel you 'settled' for the Tiger.

Then you're going to go out and get a GS, only to find it's a complete TURD of a bike.  It's just about as fun as riding a cardboard box.

And if I don't shut my mouth, I'll never unload mine!
\'96 Steamer

chromekid01

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "burntclutch"The older ones are great and I think more dirt worthy BUT parts will become more hard to come by at some point..plus the FI would be a nice thing to have. :)

+1.  I agree wholeheartedly...except for the FI thing.   :wink:

If you really want a GS, get one.  Tigers aren't for everyone - they're AMO (Advanced Motorcycle Ownership).  Only the smartest, most mature, most talented, most developed, and best looking people own them.  If this isn't you, get the GS.  Because if you're not fully developed (in the motorcycle sense of the word, of course), you're not going to be happy with your purchase and you're going to feel you 'settled' for the Tiger.

Then you're going to go out and get a GS, only to find it's a complete TURD of a bike.  It's just about as fun as riding a cardboard box.

And if I don't shut my mouth, I'll never unload mine!

So for what i want to do with the bike would a FI bike or a steamer be better?
James Hiller

Ebay/Internet sales

Atlanta Triumph Ducati

678-904-1414