News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starting Problem

Started by speedysheep, August 14, 2007, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedysheep

I've got an odd starting problem with my 2005 Tiger.  It's extremely hard to start if it sits for over a week in warm weather.  It runs fine as long as I ride it frequently, which I usually do.

I picked up a nail in my rear tire recently, which wasn't a big deal as it was about worn out anyway.  Unfortunately, due to some family commitments it took a couple weeks before I could get around to replacing it.  The bike ended up sitting for 17 days without being started.  
I got it put back together last night and it just refused to start.  It would turn over just fine, but it would only fire intermittently.  My battery tender said the battery was fully charged, so I don't think that was it.  I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer and that didn't help at all.

I finally ended up cranking it for a couple minutes, letting it sit on the charger for a few minutes, and then cranking it again.  Finally, after about 2 hours of this I got it to catch by holding the throttle slightly open.  It sounded like it was running on two cylinders (at most) and refused to idle, dying immediately if I let go of the throttle.  I finally got it restarted again and just held the throttle slightly open for a few minutes.  After awhile it started running normally and idling as it should.  I rode it around the neighborhood for 15 or 20 minutes and it was running fine.  It restarted normally when I shut it off.  I rode it to work this morning and it started immediately, no problems at all.

This bike has done this a couple times before, after it sat for a week or so in warm weather, but it has never been this bad.  It has sat for several weeks in the winter a few times and restarted without any problem.  I've got several other fuel-injected bikes in the garage and they all start immediately, even if they've been sitting for months.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  The way it refused to idle was very much how it behaves when the idle stepper is disconnected to sync the throttle bodies.  I wondered if perhaps the stepper motor was malfunctioning somehow after it had been sitting dormant for awhile.

Any other ideas?
Where am I to go, now that I\'ve gone too far?

fano

My 01 Tiger has developed the exact same symptoms as you describe. First I thought it was a battery so I bought a new one but no improvement. I too have a suspicions it is idle air control valve but i don't think I can check it  without a diagnostic tool. I was thinking of taking it to the dealer for diagnostics.

speedysheep

Quote from: "fano"My 01 Tiger has developed the exact same symptoms as you describe. First I thought it was a battery so I bought a new one but no improvement. I too have a suspicions it is idle air control valve but i don't think I can check it  without a diagnostic tool. I was thinking of taking it to the dealer for diagnostics.

Please let me know if your dealer figures anything out.  It's only an intermittent problem, but it sure is annoying when it happens.

fano

Mine doesn't want to start in the morning normally at all any more. I have to crank the engine and twist the throttle and then hold the rpm higher until it warms up. Once warmed up it runs great. It all started about two weeks ago.

speedysheep

Quote from: "fano"Mine doesn't want to start in the morning normally at all any more. I have to crank the engine and twist the throttle and then hold the rpm higher until it warms up. Once warmed up it runs great. It all started about two weeks ago.

Sounds like yours might be easier to diagnose.  Mine will only do it if it has sat for a couple weeks.

Loops

Hi SpeedySheep,

Just a thought do you have an alarm?  Could that be draining your battery just enough to cause a problem starting?

I've got a solar battery charger (on an old Mini) that uses sunlight to trickle charge the battery through the cigarette lighter.  Certainly helps the poor old thing.

Cost about £20 from Maplin and you could probably charge through the accessory socket?

Odd though as my 885efi can stand for a month and still start no problem - no alarm though.

Good luck

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

speedysheep

Nope, no alarm.  I don't think the battery is the problem.

I actually had a response from a member in Norway on another mailing list who suggested it's because the fuel system doesn't prime itself completely after sitting for a prolonged period.  He suggested turning the key on and off several times before starting to run the fuel pump more.  I asked the mechanic at my local Triumph dealer and he suggested the same thing.
I'm going to give that a try the next time it sits for awhile.  I've been riding the bike every day and it's been starting normally.

fano

Quote from: "speedysheep"
Quote from: "fano"Mine doesn't want to start in the morning normally at all any more. I have to crank the engine and twist the throttle and then hold the rpm higher until it warms up. Once warmed up it runs great. It all started about two weeks ago.

Sounds like yours might be easier to diagnose.  Mine will only do it if it has sat for a couple weeks.

Well, it seems like my starting problem was sorted out. All of mine intake valves were too tight. Now it starts perfect.  :D