News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introduction, A few questions on the Tiger

Started by JUSTRON, September 07, 2007, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUSTRON

Greetings Guys?Gals.
i'm new to the board, looking to find out a little more info on the Tiger 955.  I have been riding for about 32 Years now, 90 % of that time riding and racing in the dirt, mainly harescramble, gncc events. Been a Big Fan of KTM from back in the Penton days. And while I'll remain faithful to the KTM for my dirt needs, for adventure riding im really interested in the tiger.
My wife and I are looking for a Bike that we can ride comftorably 2-up for a long weekend of camping or down to the beach. We wont be doing any cross-country tours anytime soon, Just some 200-500 mile weekend/weeklong trips occasionally. How does the tiger fit the bill in this regards? I looked at a new GS, also a Uly and the Stroms. I havent ridden ANY of them (my street endorsement has expired on my license after 8 years). IM drawn to the Tiger for a few resons, the Motor, Looks, mild offroad capabilities and equally important, price and value. We have 6 children, and my wife is finishing a nursing degree. I would be much more comftorable spending 4-6K on a bike in cash, rather than paying 12k by the month. Anyone want to help talk us onto the tiger?  
Very Nice board here by the way.  :wink:

Id like to add, the 2 previous street bikes I,ve owned were a Yamaha V-max, and a Kawasaki Eliminator. Kind of point and shoot types of bikes and not much room for luggage!

HockleyBoy

I've had my 05 Tiger for just over 2 years now and love it, it is comfortable over short or long distances, pretty ecconomical and never lets me down. It is fun for short blasts, the triple sounds great and whats more it can carry a fair amount of gear.
Personally I think it represents very good value as you should get hard luggage, heated grips centre stand etc with the bike and if you already like the looks probably wont find a better bike for your needs.
I haven't done any long distance two up but have read it compares favourably with any of the othe bikes in its class.
Hope this helps.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

JUSTRON

Thanks for the reply. From what Ive researched, I kind of felt it would be a good do * most of it* type of bike. I have HEARD the motor, and love the sound. How is Pull from the lower RPMS?

HockleyBoy

Very good, you won't have any problems there which helps with keeping the gear changes to a minimum.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

JUSTRON

Sounding more and more like the bike for us, if I could  get some chimes in on 2-up comfort with bags I think our mind will be made up. I

iansoady

You'll probably just get positive views here (from me as well - I've had my '04 for 2 years and love it). The only thing you do need to be aware of is the Tiger's height and high centre of gravity, which have caught many (most?) of us out at some time or another, especially at very low speeds. Having said that, you soon get used to it (and it's easy to lower the bike an inch or so if you wish), and stability at anything over 3mph or so is excellent - easy to ride to a standstill feet up.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mudhen

Quote from: "JUSTRON"We have 6 children, and my wife is finishing a nursing degree.

You'd think that after having 6 children she wouldn't need to go to school to learn how to nurse...

:lol:
\'96 Steamer

Stretch

JUSTRON

Mudhen.. FUNNY.. I think Im going to like it here!  :lol:
High center of Gravity.. Hmm I have not read that much on other forums I have researched, But from sitting on one, I could certainly believe it to be true. The choices are really limited for a litre bike adventure tourer, when you dont wish to spend 15 grand.  I really have taken it down to the Strom or Tiger. The Tiger certainly seems to have soul and character, where the strom seems bland, although still comftorable and a good value.

Mudhen

Whew...after I posted that I was worried how you might take it.

Which model Tiger are you thinking about?  A 'real' carb'd bike, I'd hope...
\'96 Steamer

noivson

Being of normal stature..Ha!...... Tiger 'fit's' me well. Mrs. is 5-5, 135...According to the boss the '05 Tiger is the most comfortable. Other rides have included: FZ1, Ninja's,Twins (Yamaha), and a GT750 Suzuki. Legs aren't cramped on the passenger pegs. I like the idea of mounting the bags whenever we both ride. Maybe it's just my idea of additional protection for her. And as usual stopping at a tourist trap happens. Fabricated a backrest to mount a camera bag/pad. Rider/Pass intercom mounted under seat (StarComm)...things work well. Three hr. runs are no problem for either of us.  
[/img]
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Advwannabe

Hey Justron,

Looks like its all looking good for Tigger ownership but..........

Two up I have had some issues. The Tiger is very good, but even light offroading is a trial with two of you on board. The afore mentioned top heaviness is the problem two up in sand or mud. I imagine it wouldn't be much better on a KLR anyway :lol:

Dirt roads are fine though, and my boss (5'11") likes the seat and the amount of legroom. I have manufactured a plate to move the pillion pegs down an inch and forward 1.5 inches and this seems even better.

Also, certain types of screens seem to subject the pillion to buffetitis. We have a solution we are happy with, just something to think about.

Good luck with your decision.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

greg

Did an 8500 mile journey two up in January on my '04. Had the bike from new, and can't think of anything that would make me want to change. In the past ten years have had a couple of Thunderaces, T-Bird Sport, T-Bird with chair, Bandit 1200 and ridden many others. Oh forgot the VF1000, how could I!
2004 Girly.

WIDGIN

Regarding low-end torque:  The triple is fantastic in this regard.  My '05 pulls smoothly without a hitch from 2,000rpm which is rare for most fuel injected bikes, including the Strom and KTM990.  At 3,000-3,500rpm, you can whack the throttle wide open and it will just howl and accelerate briskly.  So briskly that it will throw it's head at the moon in a little power wheelie in lower gears. :lol:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

JUSTRON

Seems like most of my fears have been addressed!
I dont expect to do anything more severe than a dirt road or jeep trial 2-up.. But may search out something a bit more challenging if riding solo.
Can someone give me a Breakdown of changes on the 2000 on up 955's?
Is there any monumental changes that would ... say , Make me want an 04 over an 01, etc??
Normal maintenance items like Valve adjustments, etcc  A dealer affair or Do it myself. Dumb questions, I know, But I have absolutely ZERO experience with Triumph.  Any Farkles anyone considers a Necessity?
Again, Thanks so much for answering my questions.
 Maybe I can find a rider group here in nc??   :D