News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hagon progressive fork springs

Started by iansoady, October 31, 2007, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

I've just fitted a pair of these to the Tiger as part of the Autumn / winter tinkering session (of course it's now a beautiful sunny day here in Brum). However, I was surprised to see that the springs that came out were already wound closer at one end - in fact looked very similar to the new ones I was putting in! I must say I hadn't noticed this when changing the fork oil last year.

Does the 04 spoked wheel Tiger already have progressive springs, or had the previous owner fitted these?

I was also a little surprised by the air gap at 130mm (my Triumph manual specifies 107mm). I'd have thought this would tend to increase any tendency to dive which of course is the reason for fitting the progressives in the first place....

Grateful as usual for any light anyone can shed.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Mine were the same when i changed to Ohlins some years ago,their all like that dear chap!!!modern springs that is!! you've been working on things like commando's for too long!!!

You'll get very little benefit out e'm without changing the oil to somthing stiffer,problem being at this time of year you'll have to ride miles to get the front forks up to any kind of working temp,i run 15wt,when cold is far to stiff,but after a few miles on a summers day are fine.

iansoady

Quote from: "Chris Canning"you've been working on things like commando's for too long!!!

Any hour spent working on a Commando is an hour well spent. I should know, I had my last one for 20 years......

QuoteYou'll get very little benefit out 'em without changing the oil to somthing stiffer,problem being at this time of year you'll have to ride miles to get the front forks up to any kind of working temp,i run 15wt,when cold is far to stiff,but after a few miles on a summers day are fine.

The oil Hagon gave me is 10 grade which seems a bit thin to me. It's a shame changing the oil is such a faff especially as I'm always worried the bike's going to fall off the blocks under the front of the engine with the forks out. Didn't dare creep round beside it to take the Velo out this morning.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

zombie

[quote="

The oil Hagon gave me is 10 grade which seems a bit thin to me. It's a shame changing the oil is such a faff especially as I'm always worried the bike's going to fall off the blocks under the front of the engine with the forks out. Didn't dare creep round beside it to take the Velo out this morning.[/quote]

I put in two lag bolts into my ceiling and hang the front end up in the air with tie downs as an added precaution , I also have a thin metal rod that I slip under the motor between pipes and motor and then let the rod sit on two jackstands , but hanging the bleedin' thing is easier.
I'

Chris Canning