News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need a little experienced help with my Tiger 955I

Started by TriumphTengu, November 06, 2007, 08:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriumphTengu

All right, I read the owners handbook and notice that it (and you all) say to use synthtic, and thought to myself that the Honda dealer told me they changed the oil and filter Thursday. I called them back and they put dino oil in it. So I'm gonna change the oil after all. The local dealer wants $13.36 for the Triumph filter and Cyclegear wants $13.99 for the K&N.
And of course do I use "real" motorcycle oil or auto oil.
When I bought it it had 850 miles on it. I left my bike at home this morning not wanting to ride her (though I have put 150 miles on it with the Honda T4 in it).
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

P.S. The wife is telling me to take it back to the Honda dealer and make them do it yadda, yadda, yadda.....
Wife's. What would we do without them?
Are We Having Fun Yet?

eldiii

Oil Change:
1st Oil Change is normally done at 1000 miles and every 6000 there after with the recommended Mobile 4T Racing Oil.

I use the Triumph parts/oil however I know others who have success with K&N Filters and other brands of synthetic oil comparable to the Mobile 4T.

I'd suggest changing oil at 1,000 Miles, get an oil & filter you are comfortable with or just have a Triumph Dealer do it and know that is done right....I didn't say cheap as Mobile 4T Oil is not.  But it's good for 6,000 Miles.  

You will get many good & reliable years out of your Tiger IF you keep up with it's regular maintenance; 6,000 oil change, 12,000 valve adjustment/check.  

I ridden enough to have had to change the oil 3 times this year; trust me
don't be cheap with oil and oil changes.  

eldiii

swamper650

Just changed the oil on my 02 Tiger today. It is a relatviely lo mileage scoot with 23000 on the odo. I have been saving myself a bit of money buying my oil and filters at eithr auto parts  stores or Walmart.
  Purchased 4 quarts of MOBIL 1, 4T racing oil @ $8.23 /qt and SuperTech oil filter # ST7317 for $2.67. Total with my donation to the govener was $38.09.  Compared to the local Triumph  dealer,s price of $76.88 parts only !
  Have had no issues with those products  in the overwheming heat of Florida summers. Shifting action is smooth and motor runs cool and quiet.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

iansoady

Quote from: "eldiii".....just have a Triumph Dealer do it and know that is done right....

I thought you Yanks didn't do irony??
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sasquatch

Shell Rotella T synthetic, $16/gallon, SuperTech filter $3, 10 minutes of my time and it is done.  Over 30 thousand happy miles.

brad1098

I change my own, but buy all the goods at my local, friendly, there for free advice Triumph dealer, RPM motorsports Belleville, IL.  I want him to stay in bidness so when I need that part Walmart (you ride a what) does not have, he will be there.  Mine came to $67, don't be cheap, you know what that leads to.  Next time I will see if he can get me the K&N, the 17mm hex would be rather handy.
02 black-Lorna

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "eldiii".....just have a Triumph Dealer do it and know that is done right....

I thought you Yanks didn't do irony??

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

eldiii

Yep, they got there act together!!! They are a great bunch.....and know there stuff....For those of you with jack-asses for dealers, you really need to visit this shop..they are really that good!  Triumph of Windber (Pennsylvania).

eldiii

swamper650

Appreciate the need for a local dealer as long as he remains competitive. Mine has shifted his emphisis to Ducati...Triumph and BMW seem to be a sideline.  His quoted price for setting the valves was twice  what the 2 other dealers quoted.  Though those dealers are several miles away, it was worth the travel.  They actually welcomed my business.  
 As to parts ...what parts?  Had to have them ordered...so went on  line and got them delivered in less time and less cost.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding