News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel pump whining noise

Started by boocat, November 18, 2007, 09:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boocat

Whenever I sem to start my tiger of late the whining noise from the fuel pump goes on for about five minutes. Before it would whine for a few seconds after turning the key then again for about five seconds when the engine fired up.

Is it buggered or should i ignore it.? there seems to be no fueling problems.

B :?

Bixxer Bob

Mine started to do this after I had the tank off.  Only for a couple of seconds and only when it's been standing for a few days.  I suspect a small air leak allowing ther pump to drain down but I'm not sure and haven't had time to look yet.  I'll probably change the fuel line o rings anyway (you're supposed to do that every time you seperate the joint but I don't always bother).  I'd also welcome others thoughts....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Mine has done it since the day i bought it new,7 years ago next april!!.

blacktiger

Mine squeaks when it's priming. But it doesn't go on for long. A couple of seconds maybe. Don't know what causes it though.
If it gets too annoying I'd get it checked by a dealer. Or just get some better ear plugs.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

Mine squeaked when I let the bike sit for a few weeks.  I cycled the switch a few times and it quit squeaking, then just made the usual couple-second hum.

Hasn't done it since.

Texalan

Just bought a 99 Tiger with over 20k on the clock.  First FI bike for me.  Seems like the fuel pump whines/hums all the time, smae sound as pre-start pressurizing.  The PO said it was the pump.  Whats the consensus?  Any worries?  Thanks.

BTW, Why are the 2nd gen bikes called "girlies"?  There must be a story there...

TigerTrax

Your fuel pump should 'whine' when you have the key on and you
hit the 'on' switch ( kill button - 'on' ).

It should simple be about a 5 second whine..... much beyond that...
I'd have the FI system checked.  In fact, make an apptmt to have your
FI updated wiuth latest tune. Let the shop hear what's happening.

As a note: Since your bike was built the plastic line fittings under the tank have been upgraded to metal fittings. Check those and make the change-over now. ( Nothing like rolling down the road and all of a sudden you start dumping raw fuel over the top of your engine!!! ) Those metal fittings can be had at Team Triumph in Janesville, WI .... Google them, then call them.

Finally... Girlies: The first 2-3 model years of the'99+ Tiger new body design featured graphics above the headlights, on the front 'nose fairing'.
Those graphics looked like eyebrows.... hence  'girlies'.

Jerry
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Texalan

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll check those fittings.  My pump whine/whir is constant, not just initially.  

Alan

zombie

Mine whined too   until I turned the heat on in me shed
now it's all happy like :wink:

Jon H.

My '01 has always buzzed.  The lower the temp, the longer it buzzes.  Triumph apparently fixed the problem, as owners of '03s? and newer don't seem to have the complaint.  But...I'm not going to replace mine unless it dies.
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black
1971 Norton Commando - Black
1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans lll - Red
2009 Suzuki DL 650S - Black