News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock, I am on a mission.

Started by Sasquatch, November 25, 2007, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

I have been able to do wonders with the stock KLR 650 shock, so I am now looking to do the same with our Tiggers.  I run a suspension rebuilding business on the side and have done it for many years.  But I am starting to take it really seriously lately.

What I did with my stock KLR shock was to gut it, replace the internals with a Race Tech Gold Valve, add on a Fox remote reservoir with adjustable compression, replace the junk stock spring with a Hypercoil unit (any weight you need) and bingo, created a high end aftermarket shock for a fraction of the price.

Here is my prototype.  I have got all the details sorted now with valving and am even having a custom braided line made with AN fittings.

I would like to do the same for the Tiger.  Before I rip my shock apart, I would like to see if anyone has a stock shock laying around that I could source for R&D.  If you want it back, fully modified, you will get it for my cost of the parts, labor is free.  Been watching fleabay with no luck.

If you would like to contact me off this list for details, please just email me:  jobesfzr (at) yahoo.com

In the spirit of sharing information, I will also answer any questions you have if you have the ability and wish to do it yourself.  It is not rocket science, but there is some tools and experience that will make your life much easier.

Any business generated from this list will get a portion of the proceeds donated back to the listmeister.

zombie

Hi Sasquatch
can you rebuild my hagon for me , it's the cheaper one witout the remote unit
cheers

Sasquatch

Quote from: "zombie"Hi Sasquatch
can you rebuild my hagon for me , it's the cheaper one witout the remote unit
cheers

Send me an email with your phone number and I will call you.  Should be no problem at all.

littlefield

blacktiger

Great idea to modify the stock shock as it already has a remote pre-load adjuster. Something a lot of after market shocks are missing. Damn shame I'm on the other side of the pond.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

McGuiver

When you get it sorted out, I would be VERY interested in purchasing one! Let us all know!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

littlefield

I've been talking to Mr. Sasquatch about doing mine and will send it off pretty quickly. Too bad we're in the middle of some of our best riding weather here in south Texas.  Anyway, we need to figure out the best place to hang the remote reservoir. Personally, I'd like to see it hung off the back of the shock behind the preload adjuster.
Anybody know where the Hyperpro reservoir gets mounted? A picture would be great.
I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

JetdocX

Hey 'squatch,

I wish you had been a month or so earlier on this.  I'm buying an aftermarket Penske that maybe I can put a hold on.........

Either way, I'd be happy to work something out on the stock unit.  It's sitting on my garage floor right now awaiting disposition.

It's from my 98 Steamer.

Still interested?
From parts unknown.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "JetdocX"Hey 'squatch,

I wish you had been a month or so earlier on this.  I'm buying an aftermarket Penske that maybe I can put a hold on.........

Either way, I'd be happy to work something out on the stock unit.  It's sitting on my garage floor right now awaiting disposition.

It's from my 98 Steamer.

Still interested?

Yes I am.  Littlefield is sending his from an '07, that will take care of the streeters, If I can do yours that will cover the steamers and either I do someone else's or just pull mine for the girlies.  Then I will have all the years covered.

I will need to chat with you via email or phone to really understand your riding styles so I can taylor the shock for you.  I also need to know where you want to mount the reservoir.  I can do remote reservoir's up to about 25" away before the hose length starts to affect the dampening.  Here is how I have mine on the KLR mounted.  Just to give you ideas.

I am so totally pleased with the way my shock works on the KLR now.  I ride with a group of KLR riders exploring the rougher areas of the Idaho back country.  My bike goes through it so much smoother than anyone elses, even those with the Progressive 420 shock.

Keep in mind though.  I promise that this will make the back end of the bike feel so good that if you have a pre '07 bike, you will really need to do the Race Tech emulators in your forks as well.  Most of you handy with a wrench can do it yourself.  If you do not feel comfortable, I can do that as well.  But it is really needed.  You will not believe the difference in your bike.

JetdocX

Forks being done as we speak.  I had the emulators on the BMW and liked them so much I decided to buck up again. 8)

Remote reservoir has already been done by Triumph, LH side next to frame.  Just below the funky $80 upper coolant hose.

PM in work..............
From parts unknown.

Advwannabe

I was just whining about the shock in my Girly on the Iron Butt Thread Sasquach,

I have to go back to sea for several months January 7 next year. I'd like to ride Tigger while I'm home but if you still don't have a volunteer after Christmas, I'm your man.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sasquatch

Get ahold of me before you leave.  Working on an 07 tigger's now.

pizzaman383

I'd love to upgrade the rear shock without buying a whole new unit.  Please keep the news coming.

For those sticking with the stock shock, I relocated the preload adjuster so that it can be adjusted without removing the seat.  I took the adjuster unit and bracket off and mounted the unit upside down and backwards.  This makes the adjuster nut accessible from below.  I use a hex wrench with a universal joint and voila - easy to adjust!
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Sasquatch

I am right in the middle of the 07 Tiger's shock.  Pretty cool design inside.  Nice to know it is not as cheap as the emulsion (nitrogen and shock oil mix) shocks installed on the KLR.  Downside is that mounting a remote reservoir will not be possible.  But, I will be able to re-valve it for the new heavier spring and his riding style, install new seals, and install a shrader valve for charging the nitrogen reservoir.  All for less than $300.

For 95% of the riders out there, this will be a wonderful upgrade over stock without breaking the bank.  For the 5%ers, Penske or Works Performance full blown racing shock will be your option, at a much higher price.

As soon as I get done with the 07, I will be tearing into mine, a late '01 955 shock.

Jay
Suspensions by Sasquatch
jobesfzr @ yahoo.com (take out the spaces)

katoomon

Quote from: "Sasquatch"As soon as I get done with the 07, I will be tearing into mine, a late '01 955 shock.

Jay
Suspensions by Sasquatch
jobesfzr @ yahoo.com (take out the spaces)

How about an update?  This is a great idea, and a potentially great service.  I am playing around with mounting locations for front end sub tanks right now.  It is not looking good for a location that is reliable and may go to the gold valve front end.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390