News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Oil Pipe Protection

Started by owen, January 15, 2004, 05:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

We replaced our Honda Transalp with a new Triumph Tiger in November 2003.  I was disappointed with the lack of sump protection as much of our riding is done on unsealed roads but accepted the good with the bad - the perfect bike hasnt been made yet! I was even more concerned after reading Daves story after  he had travelled some rocky roads and decided that there must be some mods that would save our Tiger from self destructing. I purchased the Thunderbike crash bars but didnt like the sump plate that bolted on, it was just too  ugly!

So I made two mods,

1. I fitted an old trials front mudguard over the oil pipes. This curled up a little in  the front of the motor and extended back over part of the oil filter and fitted in nicely beside the original bash plate. A couple of bolts secured it in place into a plate that slid in behind the pipes.

2. I then made a flap for the front guard that extended  about 6 inches below the plastic guard  from some reinforced neoprene.

Results - Before I had done these, there was a constant  pinging of stones on the underside of the bash plate and motor. On  one of my first trips on the gravel, even the oil filter had loosened but now its totally quiet. We have just spent almost 3 weeks touring with about 400kms of our 4500 on quite rough gravel with absloutely no problems.

Cost of all these mods - less than NZ$10.

Regards to you all, my first post

Owen

BigDave

Quote from: "owen"We replaced our Honda Transalp with a new Triumph Tiger in November 2003.  I was disappointed with the lack of sump protection as much of our riding is done on unsealed roads but accepted the good with the bad - the perfect bike hasnt been made yet! I was even more concerned after reading Daves story after  he had travelled some rocky roads and decided that there must be some mods that would save our Tiger from self destructing. I purchased the Thunderbike crash bars but didnt like the sump plate that bolted on, it was just too  ugly!

So I made two mods,

1. I fitted an old trials front mudguard over the oil pipes. This curled up a little in  the front of the motor and extended back over part of the oil filter and fitted in nicely beside the original bash plate. A couple of bolts secured it in place into a plate that slid in behind the pipes.

2. I then made a flap for the front guard that extended  about 6 inches below the plastic guard  from some reinforced neoprene.

Results - Before I had done these, there was a constant  pinging of stones on the underside of the bash plate and motor. On  one of my first trips on the gravel, even the oil filter had loosened but now its totally quiet. We have just spent almost 3 weeks touring with about 400kms of our 4500 on quite rough gravel with absloutely no problems.

Cost of all these mods - less than NZ$10.

Regards to you all, my first post

Owen

Nice job owen.  Take a picture & let us have it!

BykBoy

BidDave said:

QuoteNice job owen. Take a picture & let us have it!

Yah. What he said!

Sound great. I've been looking for a way to make a plate to protect the oil lines. Can't wait to see the pics...

And welcome to the cage!
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

BigDave

Quote from: "BykBoy"welcome to the cage!

I like that.  Nice call.  :idea:

You've had TWO DAYS to take a photo. Come on.

It's winter up here so it's an ideal time to fabricate things.

Or else......I'm doing a tour of N.Z. in early March. I could come and see it in the flesh.

Yeah! "Welcome to the cage". Good one. :P