News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Touratech Crash Test

Started by tcbezza, December 02, 2007, 08:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcbezza

After nearly 2 years I managed to drop my Tiger today doing about 15 mph entering a big roundabout. It had been raining hard but everything up to that point had been good grip with plenty of feel. For some reason, probably oil on the road as soon as I started to lean into the corner the front end just washed out and we both slide 20 yards down the road into the curb.

The Touratech engine bars definitely earned their keep, the upright on the right hand bar has some heavy scruffs in it  and the bar end is lightly marked but the real surprise is the amount of metal ground off the end of the right hand fork below the axle. Most of the shaping has gone and it now has a chamfered finished to it. I think it will clean up to at least look smooth.

Anyway my question relates to the rear brake level which seems to be slightly bent. Does anybody know if I stand a chance of straightening this out or will it break as soon as I put pressure on it???

Trevor
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "tcbezza"Anyway my question relates to the rear brake level which seems to be slightly bent. Does anybody know if I stand a chance of straightening this out or will it break as soon as I put pressure on it???

Trevor

When I got my Girly the brake pedal mounting bolt was bent. I think it was less than $10 to replace.
Bruin\'

iansoady

As BC says the pivot bolt will probably have bent - mine did in a 0mph drop. It's worth checking as if it is bent it can hold the back brake on slightly causing overheating etc.

The bolt is made out of very soft material.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tcbezza

Thanks for the responses.

You are correct, as soon as you start to unscrew the pivot bolt your can see the rear brake level moving in and out as the bolt turns. I have one on order to collect Saturday.

Trevor
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

blacktiger

Quote from: "tcbezza"Thanks for the responses.

You are correct, as soon as you start to unscrew the pivot bolt your can see the rear brake level moving in and out as the bolt turns.
Trevor

You're lucky. When I crashed that side the bolt snapped off. Meaning I had no rear brake for the rest of the ride. Which was, in fact, over 1000 miles.
In answer to your original question. Yes, you can straighten the pedal using a little heat. Tip....take the rubber toe thing off first.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.