News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The End is Near

Started by JetdocX, December 12, 2007, 04:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

not the coils or igniter that goes bad it is the sending unit mounted on the right hand side of crankshaft that sends the signal to the cdi box under the dash last time I bought one was $65 from the dealer
the nology coils work just fine with stock plug wires
will this convince you on the 4 degree timing disc ..........my tiger has done 50 k plus with the 4 degree advance on it since new , well around 1000 miles it got the tune up . so yeah they don't hurt the engine even a little bit .

tigerrider

sorry to thread jack...but what about just adding the coils with none of the other mods?

Mustang

yes just adding the nologys is well worth it you get better performance and a happier tiger !

steammoto

Nice write up JetdocX, please continue when time permits :)
1995 Steamer Diablo

JetdocX

I'm so sorry to be short on pics and words.  I get going on a roll and forget about photos until it's too late sometimes.

Coils ordered.

Anyone want to buy some OEM coils????? :wink:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

BR

Nice!  That was quick too.  I think we all want to know... is it time to "kick the tires and light the fires" with those new coils?  I went the Daytona coil route (fleabay, $35) and mine does run but the carbs still need to come off.  The holidays and house projects have stood in the way of my progress but I'll get there soon.

Brendan
'98 BRG Steamer
San Jose, CA

JetdocX

The snow outside my garage door is keeping me from being really motivated to get this project done.  I need a few unseasonal warm days to light that fire.  

All I really have left to do is tie up all the wiring on top of the engine and anywhere else I cut ty-wraps, mount the tank, install the exhaust mufflers, put the plastic back on and roll 'er outside.

I got the center stand installed a couple nights ago.  The bike even fell off the lift (luckily it fell away from me) so it has some new scratches on the left handguard. :evil:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

I got 'er dun today about 3:00 PM.  Took her for a couple short rides.  I have new tires and there is a LOT of gravel and ice patches on the road so I cannot comment on the new suspenders except to say that the bike no longer dives between shifts and feels way more stable.

Rear brake circuit is still spongy (probably air), so I'm not totally done, but who needs rear brakes on the street anyways?

I think the Nology coils made a difference, but it's hard to tell because the rear wheel breaks loose when I whack the fun grip open. :shock: Surely no problems starting now.

I had no idea how much I missed riding the big ole steamer. :D

I got a big-long list of things done and I hope they will pay dividends when I'm touring with the beastie.

I can almost guarantee snow here tomorrow. :evil:

I'm working in the East Bay Area a few days a week now and I'm jealous of you fookers who can ride to work every day!  I'll be moving there full time for work, so I hope to meet up with some of you.
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

Jetdox...
You need to hook up with Michael Byrne in Lakeport, CA... NoCal
He's got a gorgeous '95 and a 'naked' Steamer ( year ??? )
You guys would have fun.

Tiger-CA: Michael Byrne <michael-byrne@mchsi.com>

Your project and Mustang makes me miss my '98!

Scoundrels!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mustang

Jerry , you do know that the steamers are the best at everything and especially the black ones ! LOL !

JetdocX

And the BRG ones are the fastest! 8)
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

The Volcanic Red is a Chic Magnet.......

I peeled feathers off the forks for years......

and pick-up trucks were always following me!

Hey Jetdox:
Former Navy Aircraft electrician here.
Heavy Attack - Vigilante; When I got out, installed missle warning systems on F4-J Phantoms headed for Isreal in late 60's.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

My Army job had nothing to do with my current under-employment.

Shooting a tank has almost no skills transferable to civilian life, but it did have a great big college fund attached to it.

I rode my bike to work today and on a few errands and a side trip to talk with my pal, crew chief for the Fawcett LSR jet car.  If anyone cares, they are planning a trip to El Mirage lakebed around the later part of this month to do some low speed driving (300 mph and less).

The bike definitely feels snappier with the new coils.  No mods to the induction or fuel systems, yet.  I kinda like it where it is right now...for now at least.

Suspension feels way more planted and quite a bit better road-feel, bumps in corners not a problem, no bouncing around anymore.  Still scrubbing the tires in and there is gravel and ice patches all over the place, so the suspension shakedown is gonna have to wait a while.
From parts unknown.

Jomama

My bike is not here for me to look at, but I wanted to order some of the nology coils.  The pic shows 2? but the steamer is a triple?  Do I order 2 or 3 coils?

Thanks
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser