News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air filter

Started by wvmike, December 17, 2007, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmike

Ok,I did look and didn't see what I was looking for,so excuse me if this has been addressed before.How do you remove the air filter.looks like I have to take of a side panel? And is there an aftermarket that we are using?
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

WIDGIN

You need to pull the gas tank.  :roll: K&N filters are popular.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

wvmike

Quote from: "WIDGIN"You need to pull the gas tank.  :roll: K&N filters are popular.

Thanks

Well,guess that's next.I have the bike remapped for the track pipe.Changing filters gonna make a differance?
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

ridin gaijin

I wouldn't know...I changed to K&N at my first service and never looked back. ;-)
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Bear

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"I wouldn't know...I changed to K&N at my first service and never looked back. ;-)

So I'm up for my 20000km (12000Mi) service. I noticed that the air filter is to be replaced should I spend the extra $ for a KN filter of stay with the stock filter.
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Chris Canning

War and Piece has been written about K+N's,what i've found with a K+N, race tune, open pipe,and the airbox mod,my 955 pulls a 19 tooth engine sprocket like it did an 18 in stock trim.

Mustang

K&N air filters will increase performance , period . But now I will throw a wrench in the works .
Here is something to ponder . The K&N increases performance due to the fact that more air is able to pass thru it faster . That being said , if you take a K&N filter and hold it up to the light and do the same with the stock element , you can see why a K&N passes more air ,
I run a K&N filter on my mustang for that reason , more power !
My mustang does not go down dirt and gravel roads or trails , the tiger does , if you can pass more air you are also able to pass the really fine sediment that will do in a set of valves or rings .
I have seen the trail of really fine powder in the mustang air tract from using the K&N and it doesn't even go down dirt roads .
Now it's your bike , you decide .
My steamer is running what triumph made for it because it does go down dirt roads and such . and I have never found the fine sediment in the air tract after the filter , repeat , I have seen it on the car with the K&N

Stretch

Quote from: "95mustang"take a K&N filter and hold it up to the light and do the same with the stock element , you can see why a K&N passes more air

Truth.  There are a million little pinholes in the pleats of K&N's.  I had one in my truck, and seeing that, I held it right up to my eye (with one eye closed), and I could read my license plate through it.

If one can read a license plate through your air filter, it ain't filterin'.  Yeah, it can keep rocks and lizards out of your engine, but you may as well take the screen out of your front door and wrap it around your intake.

No more K&N's for me.  Ever.

paulie

i'm not a fan of K&N either, any recommendations for something decent out there thats not OEM but works well?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Chris Canning

My steamer is running what triumph made for it because it does go down dirt roads and such . and I have never found the fine sediment in the air tract after the filter , repeat , I have seen it on the car with the K&N[/quote]

Triumph never made any Tiger to go off road,go on a factory tour and ask e'm!!,some years ago went on an organised tour just for Tiger owners,the moment the talk went to off roading the staff were under the table.

FullMonte

How about BMC filters.  I've seen them online for Steamers.  Are they similar in construction to K&N with regard to "holy bits"?

Stretch

It's very possible that they're not much different from K&N's.  Their website says they're a pleated cotton filter.  Same same.

http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoOEM.asp

zombie

I have a little over 55thousand on my Tiger and am on my 2nd stock air filter.
The stock filter does an admirable job of filtering and I have taken my bike on some really nasty mucky dusty roads in alaska and only had to clean the filter. I'm a believer in the old adage  if it works well leave it alone

Chris Canning

I can't remember the last bike i ran without an K+N,mor HP?? i doubt it,but i've always got better throttle response,as for letting more dust through,if ever put 100,000 on the motor i'll let you know :wink:

pit0rz

The K&N's need to be oiled.  And washed.  Frequently!  If you adhere to their regimen of cleaning, oiling, rinsing and repeating then you will get better filtration than stock AND better performance.  Problem is, unless you're on someones pit crew, that kinda religious maintenance prolly aint gonna happen so you're better off running what the Triumph folks designed the bike around.  Also, most people that try to do it the K&N way wind up putting too much oil on the filter anyway...

Just my $.02
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci