News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Taking my 96 Steamer in for a tune up in the Spring...

Started by BiggerTigger, December 18, 2007, 07:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiggerTigger

I've had my steamer for about two years, now (not much use), but have decided to keep it long term, so when winter breaks I'll get it looked at by a good Triumph mechanic.  I need suggestions for things to ask about.

From my maintenance handbook, I see the first two maintenance routines were completed (500 and 2000 miles, I think).  After that, it's blank.

I bought the bike with 34,000 km (about 21,000 miles), and have added only a few thousand since.  I've lubed and adjusted the chain and changed oil, otherwise nothing.

The specific problems I have:
-no low beam (I'm guessing either lamps or a bad relay)
-I overheated once (thermostat or another relay?)

Also, generally, it doesn't feel like it's comfortable going past about 115 km/hr.  The tires are street (forget which ones, but I think Metzler).

What I was planning was to drop it off at the dealer and have them suggest what it needs.  I'm guessing that they'll probably suggest replacing the airbox and a new chain.  I was thinking of having them adjust the carbs as well, since the stock settings are pretty lean (I hear on this board).

So - anything else come to mind?

Thanks for the help  (:?:)

JetdocX

I remember seeing a maintenance schedule for our bikes posted here, but I can't find it.

If you are planning on riding the wheels off her (like exceeding 24,000 miles) this summer, then get the valve clearances checked and do the rest of the 24,000 mile service.  

How old is the battery?  I dropped in a replacement sealed battery for mine from Dekka.  I can get the type and order info if you like.

Fork oil?  When was it last changed?  Maybe you want to add stiffer fork springs and heavier oil to get rid of the fork dive?

Replace the thermostat and flush the cooling sytem.  Might as well replace all those old rubber hoses, too.  Probably replace brake and clutch hoses (I suggest aftermarket for those from a place like Cyclebrakes.com).  

Speaking of old rubber, the rubber intake ducting should be replaced if it shows any sign of age cracking, etc.

I'm in the process of doing a lot of this myself.  It's expensive, but when I'm done, I know I've done what I could to prevent a breakdown in the middle of BFE.  I'm also going to hang onto her, so this initial expenditure is worth it to me.
From parts unknown.

tigerrider

tigerrider

I would also add "Replace Throttle Cable " at 24k myself.

Ask me how I know. :D

JetdocX

Quote from: "tigerrider"I would also add "Replace Throttle Cable " at 24k myself.

Ask me how I know. :D

+1  Mine was fooked, too.

Thanks for posting the schedule.  Where was it?
From parts unknown.

tigerrider

just a bit down the page "Steamer Maintenance"

I guess I should try to put a sticky on it and have peole add in other suggestions for replace/repair intervals