News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need help with coolant problem

Started by tomL, December 26, 2007, 10:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomL

I am new to the site and new to the Tiger. I just picked up my first one, a 2001 last week. It has 15k on it and runs great. I went for a 100 mile ride yesterday and the bike ran nice and cool. But when I parked it, it started to puke coolant all over the road. When I got home I pulled the thermostat, thinking it may be jammed.  Living in a warm So Cal. I figured I didn't need it anyways. I went for another ride, and it ran great again. But again, it puked. Any ideas?

fano

Welcome here!
Try to put a new radiator cap. Very common problem.
Good luck!  :wink:

tomL

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Is there anything else I should look for as long as the tank is off anyways?

blacktiger

The other thing I've heard of with regard to this problem is that the pipes to the coolant overflow tank could be reversed. So instead of any excess being fed into the tank, it's fed directly to the pavement.
The one out of the top of the tank should be the one feeding the pavement.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

Quote from: "blacktiger"The other thing I've heard of with regard to this problem is that the pipes to the coolant overflow tank could be reversed. So instead of any excess being fed into the tank, it's fed directly to the pavement.
The one out of the top of the tank should be the one feeding the pavement.

Here's a diagram, courtesy of Iansoady...

Hatleyrocket

Now I'm having the same problem with my 2001 955i.  My friend was riding my tiger at road America, and he tells me, this thing doesn't like to go slow(don't I know it).  We were going at parade speeds, and he points to the coolant tank, how it's bubbling.  I thought the coolant was just low, so I would top it off.  So this morning I topped off the overflow tank with carquests finest.  I went about a mile to the local gas station for beer and I thought I would leave it run to warm up and see how the bike would react to the coolant.  I got out with the beer to find it puking a prodigious amount out of the overflow hose, onto the swing arm and underneath the bike.   The temp level was at about halfway, not overheated by any means.  I got home and it was all done barfing, and my overflow tank was again totally empty.  I put a new radiator cap on about three years ago.  It was for a Nissan 300z, and if I remember right it had the correct pressure rating.  Is this simple radiator cap failure?  Is there a thermostat that would need replacement?

Mustang

i've never seen a thermostat go bad in a triumph , not saying they don't though
I would start with radiator cap , preferably a Triumph cap .

Bixxer Bob

Also check the plastic elbows on the overflow tank and replace them with brass ones.  If one is cracked the coolant goes onto the pavement instead of into the tank. 

Edit: just read it again properly and yes, it sounds like cap.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on July 20, 2015, 11:56:09 AM
i've never seen a thermostat go bad in a triumph , not saying they don't though

I can give you the word on that  :augie

Quote from: Mustang on July 20, 2015, 11:56:09 AM
I would start with radiator cap , preferably a Triumph cap .
:iagree
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NortonCharlie

You might consider swapping out the coolant and rinsing out the system.  Did mine last fall surprised how nasty and rusty it had gotten.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

blacktiger

Quote from: Hatleyrocket on July 20, 2015, 02:41:06 AM
I put a new radiator cap on about three years ago.  It was for a Nissan 300z, and if I remember right it had the correct pressure rating. 

Needs to be 1.1bar. Most car ones are 0.9bar. Subaru Imprezza ones are 1.1bar but I only paid £13 for a pukka Triumph one so it's not really worth faffing about with the others unless you're stuck somewhere.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

daveb

When mine was pushing coolant out of the expansion bottle, turned out to be the rad cap. Also found out the coolant level shout be set to the low mark. Can't remember where I read that but it was on one of the sites I frequent.

tntmo

Start with the radiator cap, make sure you check the overflow res for cracked elbows and proper routing.

I chased this problem with my bike for a long time, turned out to be a bad head gasket in my case but most people solve it with a good radiator cap. 

:wheel

metalguru

Don't forget if you do refill the system after checking the above, to 'burp' the system preferably in the upright position.
Has been documented quite well in the past.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

rex007can

Did you also notice if you got a case of hose suck when it cooled down? Where the rad hose flattens out for a while?  If so,  definitely rad cap issue.  Had to replace mine 2 months ago.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.