News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I'm here!

Started by ridin gaijin, January 08, 2008, 01:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Blimey John, nothing like kicking a bloke when he's down. Eh?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ridin gaijin

Oh, I don't mind, oldtiger. I managed to stay married for 17 years without straying once; and am raising (when I get the chance now) two smart, polite, kind, thoughtful little girls. The ex- decided I wasn't meeting financial expectations while I was being a stay-at-home dad a few years back.

17 years makes me better than 58.3% of your countrymen...and that's just on marriage duration, never mind looks or intelligence--!  :D  :D

OK, ok, just kidding. Thank you for the nice things you said--and I can only hope to be so lucky as to make it to NZ sometime to buy you a beer!

...Cheers blacktiger!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

HappyMan

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"Oh, I don't mind, oldtiger. I managed to stay married for 17 years without straying once; and am raising (when I get the chance now) two smart, polite, kind, thoughtful little girls. The ex- decided I wasn't meeting financial expectations while I was being a stay-at-home dad a few years back.

17 years makes me better than 58.3% of your countrymen...and that's just on marriage duration, never mind looks or intelligence--!  :D  :D

OK, ok, just kidding. Thank you for the nice things you said--and I can only hope to be so lucky as to make it to NZ sometime to buy you a beer!

...Cheers blacktiger!

Well taken Gajin.  I often record my meetings with clients so that I can go back and rip myself a new one.  Not because I am a poor presenter but because I continually want to improve.  I'm actually quite good but it's through criticism that I learn.  Whether my own or others.  Good luck in your search and if you are ever in my neck of the woods I'll take a beer.  :D
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

oldrider

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"Oh, I don't mind, oldtiger. I managed to stay married for 17 years without straying once; and am raising (when I get the chance now) two smart, polite, kind, thoughtful little girls. The ex- decided I wasn't meeting financial expectations while I was being a stay-at-home dad a few years back.

...Cheers blacktiger!

Hi again ridin gaigin,

Your response contains the elements that were suggested but not obvious in your earlier post.

I do not feel that I have kicked you while you are down, I was just giving you feedback how your writing appeared to a complete stranger.

Seventeen years married in my country would probably be one of the longer ones these days, I thought that was a good response. (lol)

You would be more than welcome to visit and ride our country as I know we would be to yours.

There is a beer and a bed waiting if you ever decide to actually make the move to doing it.

Good luck with your job hunting and with your family situation and riding your Tiger. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Advwannabe

Hi Gaijin,

I've watched this thread evolve but haven't commented as I didn't think I knew you well enough. I still don't

Too many people tip toe around the important stuff these days and consequently don't get the best out of life. Old rider posed some hard honest questions, which probably means he'd be a good mate.

The way you've handled this bloody hard part of your life and responded to suggests you have everything you need for a great future.

All the best, Russell
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Hi Gaijin,

I've watched this thread evolve...

Cheers Russell! Thanks for the kind words.--Mike

I moved into a cheap (very cheap) apartment yesterday, and tomorrow I start a temporary job helping one of the nearby Native American nations sort out their payroll problems. So temp housing and job are both a Go. Still working on the permanent job...that'll take a while.

oldrider

Will there be further progress reports on how all this is going for you or does it all just stop here? Cheers John.

ridin gaijin

Progress!

My apartment in the university area hasn't even been broken into yet! It's just me and the roaches. And the temping is going well, they want me back next week. So this is progress on both fronts! The permanent job search is ongoing. Last week a friend from advrider got me into his firm's HR department's system for a consultant position--could be a god fit, it combines management consulting and IT work, both of which I'm good at. So things are happening on that front too.

And this morning an old friend from Santa Fe treated me to a great big brunch! I've not needed to eat for the rest of the day. He also showed me his pics of riding from New Mexico to the Pacific on dirt only. Mmmm...nice....

So, in conclusion, another good week! Progress being made on all fronts. Since I got here I've ended each week better than when I started it...and it's literally been a couple of years since I could say that.

oldrider

Hi Russell, (hope you don't mind me calling you by your Christian name)

Thanks for continuing your story, it sounds like you are on track to getting your life back together in fine style.

Maybe you should change your on line name to Tiger Phoenix, the cat that came back from the ashes!

I hope I got that right, the phoenix was the bird that rose out of the ashes wasn't it? (ignorant Kiwi bird, can't even fly!)

Hey, it's interesting hearing (reading) how you are getting along, I look forward to your next post.     :D      Cheers John.

ridin gaijin

Acoma is going to offer me  a permanent job. I just got their year-end processing on track and boy are they happy.

I'm not going to take it, though.

The compensation would be good, but at this stage in my life I'm feeling very social. Driving an hour each way to the middle of nowhere to work all day just doesn't fit my plans for ramping up my social life right now. My apartment may be a noisy roach motel (saw another last night, hardy little bastards), but it's walking distance from groceries, internet coffee, laundry, etc. I talk to people all the time. No internet in the apartment means less time online, but more social time. And my friends in ABQ are inviting me to stuff I can't do because of being so far away. Example: I got invited to a food wholesaler show by a restauranteur friend. He promised me I'd be stuffed afterwards! But, couldn't go, too far away.

The recruiter continues to look at other opportunities, and in the meantime I've hooked up with a couple carpools to ease the cash cost of commuting 120 miles every day. So it's all still good, once again this week will end better than the last.

So, yay!

~~ridin (Mike)

HappyMan

Mike,  I'm glad to hear you keeping us up to date.  Sounds good and positive and I wish you the best.  Keep up posted!

oldrider

Hmmm so I call you Russell when your name is Mike, sheesh and I don't even drink, sorry about that!

As if you need any more problems!

It is interesting reading about your life on the mend, maybe one day you will be able to come out here, shout me a beer and ride around our countryside.

We are blessed with perfect roads for Tigers to stretch out on. Cheers John.

ridin gaijin

Hmmnn. It looks like my tax refunds will enable me to take advantage of the free Southwest ticket a friend has offered me, fly back to Connecticut, and then ride the Tiger back here to NM.* Since I'm just a temp, I don't see a problem in taking a week or so off work.

In my reduced circumstances, there is in fact a certain freedom!

If taken, such a trip would be through the southern states, rather than the midwest--it's just not that time of year. I'm thinking MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, southern TX, then NM. But I might detour through FL, since I've not ridden in that state yet. I don't know.

Have to see. First step: wait for the supposed refunds to land in my too-lean bank account!**

Meanwhile, the gradual upswing continues with another good week drawing to a close! Check it out: my folks gave me $500 for Christmas. I put it in my Triumph folder along with my extra stickers, maintenance records, etc...and then forgot about it. In subsequent weeks, after the road trip out here with my daughters, I just ruefully assumed I'd spent it on us.

But! Yesterday I was rooting around in there for something and found it! Now I can get the crash bars, and the other crap on my list! (List to follow) A wonderful surprise...brought on by a wise action on my part. Sometimes the best thing you can do with money is stash it and forget about it for a while...

* This would be a far more responsible course of action than saving it to help offset a dreaded Virginia demand for the $4k in 2003 taxes they say they've uncovered.

** Abruzzi--PMing you some site support goodness. ;-)

ridin gaijin

(1) Ma's Engine guards - $240 + shipping.

(2) Kisan Turn Signal Minder - for Tiger - $100
http://www.british-customs.com/product. ... t=7&page=1

(3) Beaded seat cover for Tiger - $35
http://www.beadrider.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2

(4) Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards for Tiger (black) - $75
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... uards.aspx

(5) Acerbis add-on spoilers for Rally Pro Handguards (black) - $21
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... oiler.aspx

Later: SW Motech handlebar risers; LEDs for turn signals & brake lights.

HappyMan

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"(1) Ma's Engine guards - $240 + shipping.

(2) Kisan Turn Signal Minder - for Tiger - $100
http://www.british-customs.com/product. ... t=7&page=1

(3) Beaded seat cover for Tiger - $35
http://www.beadrider.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2

(4) Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards for Tiger (black) - $75
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... uards.aspx

(5) Acerbis add-on spoilers for Rally Pro Handguards (black) - $21
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... oiler.aspx

Later: SW Motech handlebar risers; LEDs for turn signals & brake lights.

Do the Acerbis hand guards mount right up or do they take some minor adjustments to make them fit the Tiger?  I've been planning on getting some 1150GS hand guards but this would be a nice looking option.