News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

AMA - Should I join? Have any of you?

Started by HappyMan, January 11, 2008, 07:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

What is the general consensus on the AMA?  Is it worth joining?  Are they truly an effective advocate for motorcyclists?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

my opinion is they suck !
I think 20 years ago they were better than they are now .

Stretch

I've been riding for 27 years now, getting along just fine without them.

McGuiver

I just got an ad in the mail last week.........trying to shame me into joining them. It's resting comfortably in a land fill now. :lol:
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

ridin gaijin

Well, why specifically do you want to support them? I've never been a member and I'm not really sure what their legislative agenda is these days. Do they have rides and events and things? is there a financial advantage, like insurance discounts or something?

If I did have the spare cash, I'd most likely support whoever those anti-helmet people are. Because I believe in freedom of choice for morons to edit themselves out of the gene pool before my daughters reach reproductive age.  :shock:

/hijack
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"If I did have the spare cash, I'd most likely support whoever those anti-helmet people are. Because I believe in freedom of choice for morons to edit themselves out of the gene pool   :shock:

I agree with letting people make a choice on helmets - BUT I do have a big problem with people choosing not to take reasonable measures and then expecting everyone else to cover their drooling ass when things go bad. Don't think for a minute you're not already paying for some moron and his poor choices. :twisted:
Bruin\'

Stretch

So then Hillary will make helmets a National Health Care issue?   :mrgreen:

No joke, if elected, she'll probably try it.  Her and that dumb cracker husband of hers tried to do that with guns 15 years ago.

noivson

Back in the day...ha! worked on my 'Paid Life' membership for the ten years. Even have their pins. In the tenth year, Lifetime membership status was achieved. Paper pusher lost some forms. Never acknowledged my years prior. I never did support them after....
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

HappyMan

This has been most interesting.....Thanks for the input.  You most definitely answered my question!

ned37

i am a charter life member of the ama which means after 25 years of paid membership, primarily to allow me to race in ama sanctioned events, i don't pay dues anymore.  i always looked at supporting the ama as a plus to the racing.  there needs to be some organized (recognized) body to represent riders at the government level (bureaucrats watching bureaucrats).  i realize a lot of tiger riders aren't that interested in entering their cats in an ama racing event (although i wouldn't put it past some of you) and thus don't have much of a reason to throw money at something as nebulous as a group ostensibly protecting our right to ride.  most here aren't concerned with a shutdown of the places they ride, although it is getting sketchier every year.
truth is, if i were thinking of membership as a tiger rider today, with all the turmoil in the leadership of the ama, i think i would wait until the dust clears from the recent firings and apparent change of philosophy to see where they fit into my plans.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Bear

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"
Quote from: "ridin gaijin"If I did have the spare cash, I'd most likely support whoever those anti-helmet people are. Because I believe in freedom of choice for morons to edit themselves out of the gene pool   :shock:

I agree with letting people make a choice on helmets - BUT I do have a big problem with people choosing not to take reasonable measures and then expecting everyone else to cover their drooling ass when things go bad. Don't think for a minute you're not already paying for some moron and his poor choices. :twisted:

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

HappyMan

[/quote]If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.[/quote]

Oooh!  I like that one.  I may have to use that.  I have some friends that ride and they feel if you wear a helmet you will break your neck and that is why you shouldn't wear one.  I had this conversation with them as they were on their way to a funeral for a friend of theirs that was adamant about not wearing a helmet for those reasons....he died of head injuries.    I asked them if helmets were so bad why do they wear them at the races like Moto GP.  They shrugged and asked me what Moto GP was.......

RT

Hmmm, got the same letter in the mail this week.   This posting just answer all my questions.  Will pass for now.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

HappyMan

Quote from: "RT"Hmmm, got the same letter in the mail this week.   This posting just answer all my questions.  Will pass for now.

I always ask my customers if they want to know whether they should do business with my company they should speak with my clients.  This speaks volumes about the AMA.... :shock:

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"Don't think for a minute you're not already paying for some moron and his poor choices. :twisted:

{pfffffttt} The incremental cost to me is well worth it to impact (heh) each idiot who might spawn. Think of it--the cost to you really only pennies per dead/brain-dead asshat. Where else can you get such a deal...? Even ammunition is more expensive. The more I think about this, the better I feel about spending a few bucks to support helmet freedom laws!

:D  :D  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...