News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

One Happy Tiger

Started by Stretch, January 19, 2008, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Maintenance day for el tigre today.

1)  New chain and sprockets.  Lots of popping sounds coming from the front sprocket.  21,000 miles on the bike... it just might be time.

They don't call me "Stretch" for nothin'...

Yes, that is how much my old chain had stretched.  The other end is lined up equally.

2)  A rear wheel bearing had a couple crunchy spots in it, so I replaced it and its seal.

3)  Cleaned and lubricated the speedometer sender.

4)  Cleaned and lubed the brake caliper "floating" pins.

5)  And went for a ride.   :mrgreen:

HappyMan

Stretch, what brand chain did you use?  Sprockets?  How much were they if you don't mind my asking?  Just curious.

Also jealous that you got to go for a ride..... :evil:
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

I got the rear 46t Triumph® sprocket from Bike Bandit for 63 bucks.  The front 19t I got from Thunderbike of New Zealand a few months back, about thirty bucks, if I recall.  It's still essentially new, so I cleaned it up a bit and left it on.  

A 19t gives the engine a bit of a break at highway speeds, running about 500 RPM lower at 75 MPH.  The stock sprocket is 18t.

The chain is a DID 530 X-ring, a 120-link over-the-counter bike shop item, about $125.  The official Triumph® 114-link DID 530 x-ring chain from Bike Bandit is nearly 200 bucks (the exact same chain, just cut to length and resold by Triumph®).  

I broke the 120-link chain down to 114, then installed it and re-staked the rivets.  Nothin' like having lots of tools.   :mrgreen:

fano

from D.I.D.site

8) D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chains  

Order # Price........ Description......

(00524)   $100.95 D.I.D. 530-VM Gold X-Ring Chain 104 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      
(46926)   $109.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain 110 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      
(00566)   $108.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain 112 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      
(00567)   $111.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain 114 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      
(00571)   $111.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain 116 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      
(46927)   $114.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain 120 Links Mfg.#: 530VMGB      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(55123)       $7.95 D.I.D. 530VM Gold X-Ring Chain Master Link (Rivet) Mfg.#: XJFOR530

2004Tiger

Regarding the 19T sproket, I believe the Speed Tripple standard 19T is the same as we need for a Tiger, and it has the rubber padding on it.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Bixxer Bob

I've always been wary of Triumph OEM chain.  A friend broke one on his Trophy which did some damage to the bike, but thankfully not to him.  Not due to poor maintenance either.  Next,  one fine evening I ragged my 900 Trident all the way home, and then decided I'd lube the chain while it was still warm.  I always inspect my chain whilst lubing and on this occasion found three links that were cracked from the pin to the edge of the link - again not through poor maintenance.  That chain had only done 8,000 miles.  I hate to think what would have happened if that had let go on my way home.

With Scottoiler fitted on my Blackbird I got 28,000 miles out of my first chain before it developed a couple of stiff links due to "o" ring failure, and so far have done 22,000 on this one.  I've only adjusted it twice from new.  I reckon the Scottoiler has paid for itself about 6 times over so far..
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...