News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cold Ride

Started by Bliker, January 22, 2008, 11:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

http://www.paulmondor.com/
  I thought some of you might find this ride interesting. Kind of makes me feel like a Woose when I don't want to ride because it's in the fortys. Check out his forum and he gives updates about the ride and temperatures. :shock:
2004 Tiger

Stretch

Quote from: "Bliker"Kind of makes me feel like a Woose when I don't want to ride because it's in the fortys.

Heh.  38˚ and raining, and I just got home from a ride.  

(Several layers, including Gerbing jacket and gloves.)  :mrgreen:

HappyMan

Quote from: "Stretch"
Quote from: "Bliker"Kind of makes me feel like a Woose when I don't want to ride because it's in the fortys.

Heh.  38˚ and raining, and I just got home from a ride.  

(Several layers, including Gerbing jacket and gloves.)  :mrgreen:

I'd kill for such good weather!  -5 below this morning.....
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

Yeah, it wasn't bad.  My fingers were chilled, but everything else was toasty.

Mudhen

Quote from: "HappyMan"I'd kill for such good weather!  -5 below this morning.....

Oooo...that'd be a record for me.  My new record set in December is 7f (beat my old record by 1 degree).  The only problem I had was that my face shield froze up.

I am completely amazed by the old Steamer.  Absolutely not a hiccup or stumble...started right up.  Although, now that I think about it, the temp in the garage was probably 33 or so...so maybe not that impressive.  But back in high school I used to steal my sisters hair dryer to warm the carbs up in my Mini to get it to start in the winter...Mikuni has it going on campared to SU  :lol:

The pic on his frontpage is false advertising.  He's running a sidecar.  What a pu$$y...  :wink:

Neat setup, though.

\'96 Steamer

Stretch

Quote from: "Mudhen"back in high school I used to steal my sisters hair dryer to warm the carbs up in my Mini to get it to start in the winter...

Back before I had lots of tools and a shop (or even a garage), I had to pour several gallons of hot water over my Honda XL's engine to get it to fire in the winter.  It didn't help that I stored it outdoors at the time.  But we lived in an apartment, and the XL was my only bike.

I finally lost the apartment, but kept the XL.   8)

aeronca

it's been 18f - 22f on the  morning ride home this and last week up here in seattle. and would'nt you know it, my right grip took a crap :cry:  oh well at least my left hand is warm.  back into the snow and rain at the end of this week.  thank god for gore-tex.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HappyMan

..... minus 17 degrees this morning...... :shock:   Glad I sent my seat to Sargent now.

Mudhen

Quote from: "HappyMan"..... minus 17 degrees this morning...... :shock:   Glad I sent my seat to Sargent now.

:shock:

That's just incredible.  But what a record that would be - too bad you don't have your seat.  
\'96 Steamer

HappyMan

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "HappyMan"..... minus 17 degrees this morning...... :shock:   Glad I sent my seat to Sargent now.

:shock:

That's just incredible.  But what a record that would be - too bad you don't have your seat.  

I'd almost be stupid enought to do it just to say I did but the Black Ice is kind of nasty.  I can barely keep my Audi on the road with it's low profile tires.... :roll:

paulie

i'm with ya happyman, i'd almost be stupid enough also.. i think especially since we're both new tiger owners with very few miles of our own on the bikes we have just purchased!

its the snow-covered roads and black ice that keep mine in the garage though. if the roads were clear and dry, i'd be out there for sure, if only for 10 minutes or so!  :lol:

as an aside, i was sitting in slow moving traffic in downtown madison on Monday, the morning after we got about 5 inches of the white stuff. was sitting waiting for a stoplight when what do i see but a guy on what appears to be a nearly brand new FZ1 out riding on the snow covered and highly slippery roads. even my subaru was sliding everywhere! his FZ1 had road tires on, not even any kind of dual sporting stuff. he did fine until he had to turn. he ended up spinning the rear tire out from underneath and dumping the bike in the middle of traffic.  he wasnt moving forward at the time, and he had ATGATT on, so he was fine and jumped up and yanked the bike off the ground. shook his head and kept riding. that guys got balls! or no brains maybe. :roll:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Mudhen

I wish there were studded tires available.  Not big ice racing screws, but regular car studs.  I would think studs like that in every other knob would work...sure you wouldn't have the kind of traction you have on street tires in the summer, but with a goal of just getting around and not carving the corners I'd think it would work.

Never seen any though.  The only other option is the hack route, I guess.  I'd love to do it, but so expensive.
\'96 Steamer

HappyMan

I don't know.  Does Stretch mean were screwed or is he offering up a solution?   :roll: