News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

looking for a Tiger

Started by overandunder, January 30, 2008, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overandunder

Hi,

After a couple of bikeless years I'm looking to get back into the saddle.  Not into sports bikes or the Harley type stuff but touring trailies have always caught my eye.

Don't laugh, but had a test ride on a Honda Transalp recently at local dealer.  Hmmm.  Although cheap (£4500 ish, running out last years model) it really didn't do a thing for me, just felt dull to ride, dull to look at and 'twin-pot' lumpy.

Anyhow, although I have never ridden a Tiger (500 Yammy and 650 Fazer previously) I have always admired them and have read a lot of posts about the 955i in particular.  A regular comment seems to be that the weight is high and its a tricky balancing act at the lights if you're less than 6'2 (I'm 5'10 on a good day, 30'' leg).  While the tall riding position is a definite plus (used to get cramp after 30 miles on the Fazer) I wonder if it's too tall - I know that's a piece of string question but would welcome any thoughts from owners?

Also to help me sort out which year to go for does anyone know of a model history for the 955i, when upgrades /improvements were made and which are worth seeking out?

Sorry for the long first post!  Thanks.

Stretch

Here's a link to a pretty good website that describes changes in model years.  Just change the year in the web address to get that model year's page...

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/2005/

The 1993-1998 carbureted 885 Tiger isn't included, unfortunately.

But the Girly Tigers started in 1999 with a fuel-injected 885i triple, then went to the 955i in 2001.  The style was essentially the same from 1999 thru 2006, with subtle changes.

I've had no issues with seat height.  

pit0rz

I'm just a smidge under 6'-0", also with a 30" inseam.  I have no trouble with the seat height.  My seat is set to the lowest position.  Try and find one that you can test ride.  You wont regret it.   :thumbsup
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

I'm 5'8" and have no problem with it.  I can barely touch the ground and I feel that the bike balances itself quite well.  I'm very comfortable on bikes with 36 years of riding so some could be the fact that a bike is like another limb for me but coming off of a Boxer Twin I had no trouble with the Tiger's balance.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Jacqueslemac

I'm 5'9" and found it a little daunting at first, but soon got used to it. My previous bike was a Honda Dominator which was even higher but was lighter.

The rear can easily be lowered an inch or so, but I haven't bothered. I can get both feet on the ground (just) and at traffic lights it's very easy to get one foot flat on the ground. It's just a case of knowing where to position your leg (further back than you might expect).

The weight comes into play more when I'm wheeling the bike backwards into my garage every evening.

HockleyBoy

Am also just under 6ft, have the seat on the lowest setting and have no problem with the 955i Tiger, feet go down flat when stationary and have loads of room when on the move.

The engine does not suffer from the blandness of the Honda, it sounds and feels great. As others have said take a test ride and like most of us you will want one.
 :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

TigerTrax

Just a note for those... 'burly men' concerned about whether they are
vertically endowed enough to ride the Tiger ......

For several years ... and maybe still so..... a gal UNDER 5'3" rode a
STEAMER.....

I know of a guy who has the same challenge who rides a Steamer..
he starts off standing next to the bike, releasing clutch and popping left foot on the peg.. gets his balance/speed... and swings his leg over...

Not my cup of tea.... but he's been doing it most his life on various bikes.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

HappyMan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Just a note for those... 'burly men' concerned about whether they are
vertically endowed enough to ride the Tiger ......

For several years ... and maybe still so..... a gal UNDER 5'3" rode a
STEAMER.....

I know of a guy who has the same challenge who rides a Steamer..
he starts off standing next to the bike, releasing clutch and popping left foot on the peg.. gets his balance/speed... and swings his leg over...

Not my cup of tea.... but he's been doing it most his life on various bikes.

That's awesome.  I've heard of racers doing such things but it's one thing to race and another to have to stop in traffic.  Very cool!

overandunder

thanks to all for the friendly response.  The model info link from Stretch was very useful.  Will look for a 955 to test ride and post with an update.  Thanks again.  Rob

HappyMan

Quote from: "overandunder"thanks to all for the friendly response.  The model info link from Stretch was very useful.  Will look for a 955 to test ride and post with an update.  Thanks again.  Rob

Watch out for Stretch.  He talked me into buying my Tiger.....I think he might work for Triumph. :roll:  

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :pottytrain2

Stretch

My commission check is late, the cheap bastards.  :mrgreen:

Advwannabe

Hey Stretch,

If you've got any pull with the factory, put in a word for the dirt friend;y Tiger cub willya?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

No pull at all.  I'm just a fan.