News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

03 Won't start

Started by ThreePutt, March 20, 2008, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreePutt

For grins I tried to start the Tiger today and it won't turn over.  Battery is fully charged, lights and indicators all come on.  I hit the started and get nothin'. I toggled the kill switch, put the side stand up and down, stood on one foot/facing north/holding my mouth just right and that didn't even work. I even disconnected the battery hoping to reset something.

When I hit the start switch the ODO comes on and there is a soft click that seems to be coming from the dash area.  

The last time it ran was about 6 weeks ago.  The only thing different is the installation of Ma's engine guards.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

Mustang

try pulling the clutch in even if it is in neutral , sometimes the switch sticks or is just junk .

The contacts get corroded green .
My 02 bonneville wants the clutch pulled every time regardless of neutral or not !

RickV

What about the clutch safety interlock switch.  I have problems with mine engaging sometimes.  This is the switch that has to make when you pull the clutch lever in to start the engine (on a `99 Tiger).  Sometimes I have to wiggle it just a little to get it to engage.  If this switch doesn't engage, nothing will happen when you hit the starter button.

RickV

paulie

i'm not really sure what to add, other than that I hope we didn't break anything putting those bars on   :icon_scratch
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

ThreePutt

Quote from: "paulie"i'm not really sure what to add, other than that I hope we didn't break anything putting those bars on   :icon_scratch

Update:  Looks like nothing was broken during the install  :thumbsup

I put the Battery Tender on it.  After only 10 minutes it read fully charged.  I turned the key, hit the started and it cranked over two or three times and then went to click-click-click.  The familiar sound of a dead battery.

I hooked the tender back up and will let it sit for a while after the light goes green.  If it won't start then I'm guessing the battery is bad.

Thoughts now?

I've read I can jump start it with the car, but have never tried it.  Don't start the car, remove the cables right after it starts.  True?
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

paulie

QuoteI've read I can jump start it with the car, but have never tried it.  Don't start the car, remove the cables right after it starts.  True?

sounds about right! that's how i've always done it anyway..
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Mustang

Quote from: "ThreePutt"I've read I can jump start it with the car, but have never tried it.  Don't start the car, remove the cables right after it starts.  True?

My buddy fried the ignitor box($700 + USD to replace ) on his T-Bird sport doing exactly this .

If the battery is junk just replace it . it will solve a lot of grief

ThreePutt

It lives!  I'm the boy who cried dead bike.  

I'm thinking the battery is on it's way out.  It only take a short time to fully charge and an even shorter time to drain it.

After leaving it on the charger for well past when the green light came on my tender, it started.  

I started it 4 times, but on the last attempt it was struggling. I don't think I could have done it a fifth time.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

Bruincounselor

A low battery will cause the ECU to not fire. My Tiger turned over fine, but not enough juice to fire.

Bruin'
Bruin\'

TigerTrax

Don't screw around....
get a new battery.....

The battery on my '06 was bad in ONE year....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

doc

my battery was not charging and all it was is the charging fuse, fuse#2, 30amp. good luck.
doc