News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is it just me....

Started by droopydawg, March 25, 2008, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droopydawg

...or do other people and other tigers find starting sporatic in the colder temperatures?
I park outside, but under a carport, just so I can hop on and ride away. In Ga, this past January, it was 16 degrees.  Bike started and I was off to work.  A couple of times, and this morning, it has been 30, bike did not start.  Battery fully charged even. (I checked it) and 20A fuse is also fine.  It will crank, however slowly, but not start.  Anyone else have the same problem?

As long as the bike starts, I ride it everyday.  EVERYDAY. And I ride long enough for the battery to keep itself charged. I dont let it sit long enough for the battery to slowly discharge.

flux

I am still learning alot about Tigers but I live further north than you and not had that problem, and I don't ride every day sadly.  Is yours a fuel injected or carbed bike?

droopydawg

HappyMan

I live and ride in the cold and I have not had any problems with starting.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

I would get that tigger back to the dealer and ask him why a brand new motorcycle keeps draining the battery ! :shock:

Stretch

Injected bikes do require more current to start than carb'd bikes.  If your battery is marginal (regardless of what the charger meter says), it may not have the 'nads to run the fuel pump, ignition, and starter in cold weather.

At 30 bucks or so, a new battery would be the cheapest and easiest item to start with.

Even if the battery is only a year or two old, it may be giving up the ghost.  Sometimes bike batteries simply die young.

But yeah, if we're talking a new bike... let the dealer buy you the new battery.

droopydawg

Oh, its fully charged.  After trying 4 or 5 times this AM, i took the time to get out the meter. 12.6+.  All accessories off, just to make sure they are not drawing too many amps at start up. But as usual, just like last night, it will start right up when i get home.

I have heard of some battery warranty issues over the last year with the 07 models.  And I did have the stator replaced under warranty. Perhaps as a result of a farkled stator last fall, the battery was damaged from being drained so often. (Atlernator was not charging battery while bike was being ridden.)

Stretch

But good voltage doesn't equate to high amperage.  If the battery has a dead cell or two, it simply won't have the cajones to put sufficient current to the starter motor and the injection pump and ignition for a cold weather start.

Autozone will load-test it for free...

droopydawg

It is weather/temperature related.  A 30F battery pushes out a lot less amperage than a 50F battery.  Went home yesterday afterwork and with barely a touch to the starter button, it comes to life.  I park the bike in the garage overnight, where is it probably 50-60F and this morning, comes to life immediately.
Going over to local tech school (Dekalb Tech) tonight to have motorcycle tech instructor and I trouble shoot it. A high performance battery should not lose so much amperage in cold air that it does not start.
With my alternator issue last summer/fall, and the battery unable to recharge while riding, thus draining it to litterally near zero on several occasions (I take a PDI meter with me everywhere) may have damaged battery to the point where it will now no longer produce the amperage that it is supposed to.  We'll see.  Maybe a new battery will fix this.

JetdocX

How many miles on it?  I'm wondering about valve clearances.
From parts unknown.

droopydawg

10,000.  Adjustment/check due at 12,000.  Not noisy now.

Shim under bucket.  Not looking forward to it if I have to do it.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "droopydawg"With my alternator issue last summer/fall, and the battery unable to recharge while riding, thus draining it to litterally near zero on several occasions (I take a PDI meter with me everywhere) may have damaged battery to the point where it will now no longer produce the amperage that it is supposed to.  

+1

A new battery after charging issues is a VERY good idea.
Bruin\'

bahtiger

Quote from: "Stretch"At 30 bucks or so, a new battery would be the cheapest and easiest item to start with.

Ummm ... just where are you getting a battery for 30 bucks? Last one I bought was about $75.

Stretch

Billy's Batteries here in town.  No joke.

WIDGIN

Quote from: "Stretch"Billy's Batteries here in town.  No joke.

Does he stock the correct battery for a Tiger?  If so, I'm going to take a short trip to visit them.  :)
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.