News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

675 Roadie coming to the U.S.?

Started by droopydawg, April 04, 2008, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Was that a Tiger or a Wee Strom?  I'm disappointed they didn't go more dirt oriented with it.  :(
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

abruzzi

these are photoshops that have surfaced before.  There continue to be runors about the bike, some claim that it will be more of a DS than the 1050--we'll see.  Triumph doesn't seem to want to compete too much in that space, which is odd, because dirt riding in general is one of the few growing sectors in the MC works.

My little Rant is this:  Look at the BMW F800GS--in many ways it's an awesome bike, but every review I've heard is that the engine is less than inspiring.  800 cc's and it's a dull engine.  Triumph's 675 would be an awesome engine in this space: 85hp, 61 ftlbs of torque.  the 675? 107/51 in the Street Triple, 123/51.

Tune it for a bit more torque, and gear 1st & 2nd down overall and it would blow the F800 away with 125 less cc's.  If Triumph would launch a DS oriented Tiger Cub 675, I would literally be first in line.  My one big gripe with the 955i is the weight.  I'm afraid to singletrack it, because I doubt I could lift it if I dropped it--especially on a down hill.

Sigh...Please triumph?

Geof

The Kurgan

Quote from: "abruzzi"Tune it for a bit more torque, and gear 1st & 2nd down overall and it would blow the F800 away with 125 less cc's.  If Triumph would launch a DS oriented Tiger Cub 675, I would literally be first in line.  My one big gripe with the 955i is the weight.  I'm afraid to singletrack it, because I doubt I could lift it if I dropped it--especially on a down hill.
Geof

Start lifting some weights  :D , 'cause I think the "Tiger Cub" 675 will fail to please the DS crowd. To get even 70-80 hp from that high strung motor, you would really need to keep the revs up -- less than ideal for DS use. How much "torque tuning" can you do to a supersport motor design to make it a good, well rounded DS mount? The 955i is still the better "DS" bike, with unfortunately, a heavy frame to match.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

blacktiger

Quote from: "The Kurgan"
Quote from: "abruzzi"Tune it for a bit more torque, and gear 1st & 2nd down overall and it would blow the F800 away with 125 less cc's.  If Triumph would launch a DS oriented Tiger Cub 675, I would literally be first in line.  My one big gripe with the 955i is the weight.  I'm afraid to singletrack it, because I doubt I could lift it if I dropped it--especially on a down hill.
Geof

Start lifting some weights  :D , 'cause I think the "Tiger Cub" 675 will fail to please the DS crowd. To get even 70-80 hp from that high strung motor, you would really need to keep the revs up -- less than ideal for DS use. How much "torque tuning" can you do to a supersport motor design to make it a good, well rounded DS mount? The 955i is still the better "DS" bike, with unfortunately, a heavy frame to match.

You've clearly never ridden a 675. The engine in the Street Triple pulls from nowhere.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

The Kurgan

Quote from: "blacktiger"You've clearly never ridden a 675. The engine in the Street Triple pulls from nowhere.
Well I stand to be corrected. The Daytona 675 is very high strung in comparison. Perhaps they've messaged the 675 "street" engine to be more street friendly. But is the power low enough in the rev range to make it a suitable and competitive DS mount? I look forward to testing one if we ever see it. Cheers
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

blacktiger

Quote from: "The Kurgan"
Quote from: "blacktiger"You've clearly never ridden a 675. The engine in the Street Triple pulls from nowhere.
Well I stand to be corrected. The Daytona 675 is very high strung in comparison. Perhaps they've messaged the 675 "street" engine to be more street friendly. But is the power low enough in the rev range to make it a suitable and competitive DS mount? I look forward to testing one if we ever see it. Cheers

Well yes and no. Where the power is, in relation to speed, depends on the gearing. I found the Street triple would pull pretty strong from 3000rpm. Obviously it's nothing like a big single or a trials bike but it's good enough for a bit of dirt tracking.
To give you an idea of how good this bike is. I tested both the Speed Triple and the Street Triple in that order one after the other. I did the same 60 mile loop on mixed roads (mostly very twisty) that I know well. I completed the loop in exactly the same time on both bikes. And the top speed recorded on the trip meters was exactly the same at 109mph.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.