News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Long shot, looking for Touratech or other bashplate

Started by flux, April 08, 2008, 11:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullMonte

My friend Paul the welder is fabricating one for my Tiger this week.  If there is enough interest, I think I can talk him into making a production run of these.  I stopped by Paul's house last night and the mock up looks great.  The biggest challenge is figuring out where to mount the front of the skidplate to the bike.  Mine has the Touratech crashbars so the crossbar is the mounting point.  Other brands will require custom fab work.  Updates to follow.

Stretch

Quote from: "FullMonte"Mine has the Touratech crashbars so the crossbar is the mounting point.

That's how I did mine also.

abruzzi

There was also someoneon this board a year or two ago that fabbed up his own, that looked quite nice:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3357

geof

mrk00k

Any update fullmonte? I'd be very interested. Not looking forward to making my own....

FullMonte

Quote from: "mrk00k"Any update fullmonte? I'd be very interested. Not looking forward to making my own....

Here's the finished product.  I beat the hell out of it during my four corners trip (4500 miles) a couple of weeks ago.  It performed flawlessly.
http://fullmonte.smugmug.com/photos/282530969_S5AF2-M.jpg

mrk00k

Quote from: "FullMonte"Here's the finished product.  I beat the hell out of it during my four corners trip (4500 miles) a couple of weeks ago.  It performed flawlessly.

That looks pretty sweet. Like a boat hull. Where does it mount in the back? Whats the half cylander part for (does one of the pipes protrude lower than the others?) And the most important question....would he be willing to make more? I know its a longshot, but thought I'd ask

FullMonte

[/quote]

Where does it mount in the back? Whats the half cylander part for (does one of the pipes protrude lower than the others?) And the most important question....would he be willing to make more? I know its a longshot, but thought I'd ask[/quote]

It has two rear attachment points.  He fabbed a bracket that bolts in underneath the water pump and another connected to the rear header mount.  They are both solid.  The cylindrical part is to protect the header pipes without compromising ground clearance.  Its a very well thought out design that he engineered over the course of a week.   He made a pattern from it so he could sell some more if folks here are interested.  The only kicker is a mounting tab needs to be welded to the crashbars crossmember for a front attachment point.  He can make the plate if you can find somebody to weld it to the crashbars for you.    

FullMonte

We thought about drilling some holes for ventilation but frankly it never got hot, even in the first gear slow stuff.  I'd jump off the bike and touch the skidplate.  It never felt more than 100 degrees.  He used four attachment points which afford easy dismounting for oil changes.  Stainless hex hardware was used to attach it to the mounts.  There are two drain holes under the header to allow quick water draining.  They work very well.  The plate runs the entire length of the sump, plus another 2 inches.  As you can see in the pic, this was the rough draft after lots of cutting and welding.  Production units will be smoother.  Paul is a perfectionist when it comes to metal fabrication.  

mrk00k

Price? Time frame? I'm very interested but am planning a trip to Alaska and am leaving June 24 and would need it before then. What do you think? Thanks for all the awesome pictures and responses.

mrk00k

This still allows centerstand right? Sorry I always ask so many questions....

FullMonte

Quote from: "mrk00k"This still allows centerstand right? Sorry I always ask so many questions....

I've got the SW Motech center stand with no clearance problems.  He said $275 for the plate, hardware, and brackets.  I'm not sure how much lead time he will need.  Probably less than Touratech's backorder log. :lol:   If you're serious, I'll PM you his phone number, just say the word.

mrk00k

Do you know if it would fit with the stock centerstand? I would want it if it could...

FullMonte

Quote from: "mrk00k"Do you know if it would fit with the stock centerstand? I would want it if it could...

Yes.  It will fit.  I just looked at mine and its at least 1.5 inches from the centerstand, so no clearance issues whatsoever.
Check your PMs.

mrk00k

Talked to Paul today and I think I'm gonna go ahead with it. I just have one concern. My bike is an '04 and I'm not sure about the back mounting places. He said its mounted to the sidestand bracket and to the bracket that holds the tailpipe. Does anyone know if these are in the same place on the '05 and '04 or atleast close enough....Thanks