News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tail riser / jack-up kit????

Started by deiferdog, April 13, 2008, 10:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiferdog

Does anyone know if you can get shorter dog-bones to raise the tail of a tiger ?
Black \'95 Steamer.  Rock solid.

Sasquatch

I am designing a set as we speak.  Should have firm details on them by mid week.

Mudhen

An 18" rear wheel fits under there, too...for even more height if you want it...
\'96 Steamer

deiferdog

Nice one Sasquatch.  Please keep me updated - I'll def want a pair.

Interesting idea Mudhen - hadn't thought of doing it that way but it would def work - cheers.

Mudhen

Quote from: "deiferdog"Interesting idea Mudhen - hadn't thought of doing it that way but it would def work - cheers.

My 18" knobby just barely touches the center stand when the bike is unladen...so basically just when I'm pushing it (frequently), or when I'm airborne (much less frequently).  Almost went with a 19, glad I didn't now!
\'96 Steamer

Sasquatch

I have the proto set built and on their way back to the owner.  As soon as I get a thumbs up from him I can either just build them as protos (not as pretty) or get a group buy done and I will have them laser cut.  price will be the same at around $50 shipped conus.

They should be raising the rear just shy of an inch.

Mudhen

Will that then necessitate a longer shock to take advantage of the extra height?

I've been wanting a trick 3-link suspension with spring locating cones and 12" Blingstein coilovers...but thought they'd be on the Rover, not on the Tiger   :P
\'96 Steamer

Sasquatch

Shock stays the same.  Just the relationship between the shock and swingarm changes.

BykBoy

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Shock stays the same.  Just the relationship between the shock and swingarm changes.

Does this mean more ground clearence? If so, sign me up too...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

deiferdog

No - you won't get more get more ground clearance under the bike, all that will happen is that the back end of the bike will be about 2" higher, for a more "supermoto" look.

BykBoy

Quote from: "deiferdog"No - you won't get more get more ground clearance under the bike, all that will happen is that the back end of the bike will be about 2" higher, for a more "supermoto" look.

I see. This is not good for me as I am only 5'7"...  But I can see how this would work for some of you tall riders.

I've been thinking of getting my wheels replaced with a 18' rear and a 21' front for more ground clearence, but it would cost about $400 per wheel... I'm not sure it is worth it...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Mudhen

Oooo...it brings up a good point.  So if we can get some that go the other way we won't lose ground clearance but we'll be able to put our feet down better!

I likey...
\'96 Steamer

deiferdog

Absolutley, although at 6'2" that isn't an option I'd be taking.  I have done a bit of research and found that Suzuki Bandit 600 dog bones are potentially a solution.  The standard Tiger dog bones have 190mm hole centres.  To raise the back end about 40-50mm you'll need a pair with approx 180mm hole centres.  As it happens the Bandit 600 lowering kit has 180mm centres....  To lower the Tigers tail a set of dog bones with approx 200mm hole centres would prob be in order.

Earthscape

Hi all,
I am the prototype guy that Sasquatch built the shorter links for.  I have them installed and have gone on several rides, both solo and 2-up.  I wanted about an additional inch in ride height so that I could return the spring preload back to somewhere around stock while not loosing any ride height.  The new links have completely accomplished that mission.  Where before on the center stand the rear wheel was 3/4" to 1" off the ground, now the rear tire just about touches the ground.  

There are before and after pics below.  Those of you very detail-oriented will notice that I switched from the Triumph to the SWMotech center stand.  That makes the measurement of the tire on the ground a bit subjective, but the difference in the distance between the tire and the exhaust is obvious in the pics.

At the same time as the new links, I had Sasquatch rebuild my shock.  Wow, night and day difference.  The rear suspension now soaks up small and large bumps much better, and is also very well controlled (no pogo-stick).  It has really transformed my Tiger.  Previously I would have to "brace" myself over large bumps, now the bike just soaks them up, the way a bike with almost 8" of rear travel should.
It's great that Sasquatch is willing to do all this work for Steamer owners.  

Having someone out there that can help you get your suspension set up the way you want on a 10+ year old bike is fantastic.
I'm one very satisified customer, and would highly recommend his services to anyone who wants to change the ride height or improve the suspension on their Tiger.

Justin

2004 KTM 950 Adventure....1998 Triumph Tiger....1999 KTM 640 Adventure....1993 Kawasaki KLX650....2007 Kawasaki KLX350S....1996 Yamaha XT350

Mudhen

Quote from: "Earthscape"Hi all,
[snip]

Justin

Welcome aboard newbie.  You just get that bike? :lol:

Good to have another long-time Steamer owner sign up here!  (and believe me, I'm not including myself in that group)

Mudhen (Pat - Eliot, ME)
\'96 Steamer