News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello from North Carolina

Started by SilvrSRT10, February 28, 2008, 09:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvrSRT10

Hello, I'm Big Dave from the Raleigh/Durham area of NC. I haven't purchased a Tiger yet but plan on doing so in the near future. My local dealer wants me to buy his '07 but I like the idea that the '05-'06 still have a little dirt in their soul where as the '07 doesn't.

How do the Girlies compare to the new bike in size? I'm 6'9" with a 37" inseam and am looking for a taller bike than the '07. Plus I like that the older bike comes with panniers, heated grips, larger tank and center stand.

I'm going to try and make the West Va. ride in with or without a Tiger of my own just to be able to see all your bikes. I can tell from the posts I've been reading that this is a great group. Hope to be able to participate soon.

Big Dave

paulie

Welcome Big Dave! (you're not kidding either)

Can't really speak to the sizing, but to give you an idea.. I'm 6'1" w/ 32" inseam. I can very easily get both feet down flat on the ground when stopped. Seat is on the lowest height setting.

Also keep in mind the Girlies have height adjustable, 3 position seats. Not sure if the 1050 does or not.. Just something to think about!

Cheers
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Stretch

Damn!  This dudes bigger than me.

I was in the exact same situation a couple years ago.  I was lusting for an 07 Tiger before they had even hit production, but once the information started flowing, I was grossly disappointed that they were more of a tall sportbike with extremely limited off-road capabilities.

So I jumped ship and bought an '05 instead, farkling it out so that it's capable of all-day road rides, and hitting the fire roads and mild trails the next day.

Welcome aboard, and ask all the questions you like.  We have about five years' worth of articles archived... plenty of reading and reference material on all things Tiger.

To specifically answer your question about size... yes, the two bikes are roughly the same size, although I made a few mods to mine that raise the seat, raise the bars, and lower the pegs.

My bike did not come standard with heated grips or centerstand.

SilvrSRT10

Quote from: "Stretch"You just might be in luck...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4158
I might go look at this one. It's a little closer to me. What would you offer him?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/583005558.html

brad1098

$6,000 should buy it, but there are many variables.  at 13,000 mi are the tires new/like new what about the chain and sprokets?

For comparison I bought my 02 in 6/06 with 1,700 mi. with 3 hard bags, htd grips, centerstand for $5,300

Hope it helps
02 black-Lorna

SilvrSRT10

Quote from: "brad1098"$6,000 should buy it, but there are many variables.  at 13,000 mi are the tires new/like new what about the chain and sprokets?

For comparison I bought my 02 in 6/06 with 1,700 mi. with 3 hard bags, htd grips, centerstand for $5,300

Hope it helps

Thanks for the info. That's kinda what I had in mind. It bothers me a little that he doesn't have actual pictures of the bike. He used look-a-likes.

And thanks for the warm welcome from all three of you. :lol:

Big Dave

TigerTrax

Big Dave...

Bring your BIIIG self to the Tiger rally in Davis, WV  June 19-22...

there will be a 'mess of Tigers there' !

Black Water Falls Park.... just ride in... someone will lead ya....
watch this site for more info...

TigerTrax
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

SilvrSRT10

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Big Dave...

Bring your BIIIG self to the Tiger rally in Davis, WV  June 19-22...

there will be a 'mess of Tigers there' !

Black Water Falls Park.... just ride in... someone will lead ya....
watch this site for more info...

TigerTrax
I'm already looking into it. My wife is going to check and see what days she can get off. If nothing else, we may come up on Sat. and head back on Sun..
I may not have a bike by then but would still like to come up and meet y'all (that's Southern for everyone) and check your bikes out. I'll just have to drive the Viper Truck. Looking forward to it.

Big Dave

zombie

6 grand should get you a nicely farkled tiger with low miles , hold out for the right one and you'll find it
cheers

SilvrSRT10

I bought some Uly footpegs.......and they're still attached to the Buell.

I've been in the market for a Tiger for awhile now and finally got to test drive one the other day. I made an offer on it but the owner didn't accept it. I went as high as I thought it should go for but he didn't even counter offer. Plus, it just didn't feel right for some reason.

So today I found a gorgeous 2006 Uly. Made an offer which was accepted and I go pick it up tomorrow. And the bike felt right. So as much as I would have enjoyed going to West Virginia in June to meet some of you, I won't have the right ride to attend. Hope you all have a safe and fun filled time.

I may still get a Tiger some day. I think maybe a Steamer would make a great trail bike. Everyone ride safe.

Dave

Stretch

It was good visiting with you.  Stay in touch.

jmurguia

I was able to buy my '06 for only $6,000!  It has 11,300 miles and due for service soon - still worth every penny.  It has a Staintune and loves to run!  Rode to work for second time today & it was very fun. I actually felt a little guilty only paying $6k so I gave the guy a bunch of dirt equipment I hadn't used in a while. I would post a pic, but already did in the "Girly" section under "06 in my garage".  Good luck.
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

SilvrSRT10

Quote from: "jmurguia"I was able to buy my '06 for only $6,000!  It has 11,300 miles and due for service soon - still worth every penny.  

The Tiger I test rode was an '05 with 13K miles and he wanted $7K for it. It had all three cases, center stand, heated grips. Pretty much your standard Tiger. I just didn't see the value in it he did. I based my price on what I was seeing other Tigers go for and input from other Tiger owners. I thought $6K would get it. When he said he had it priced as low as he would go, I wished him well and went on my way.

I just paid quite a bit more for my showroom clean '06 Uly. But it had the side cases, two seats, two windshields, a cover and he threw in some oil and polish. I think he would have given me his Buell gloves if they were the right size. And it only had 3K miles on it.

Don't get me wrong. I still think the Tiger is a fantastic machine and I may still get one. It's just with the choice of the local deals, and limited choice of bikes I fit on, the Uly got the nod this time.

Watch out for the other guy,

Dave