News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Rotors

Started by TigerTrax, April 23, 2008, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

My 2006 Tiger has ROTORWARPISITIS... very bad.

To my dismay...
Triumph says, warranty expired Sept 2007.
With 20,000 miles on it the rotors are shot.
I begin my search.

I find 2 (TWO ) manufacturers: Stealth Products/UK  and EBC.
(EBC may no longer have '04-'06 rotors )
( Someone said, "why not OEM?"  ( See line one )

Brembo is supposed to have something ... but I could not locate.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

blacktiger

I bought (ordered in Nov 07) Stealth discs for my '02 @ £295 for 3 discs and pads. I'm pleased with them now they're on the bike BUT.......they took nearly 3 months to get here AND.....when they did they'd made the front floating discs the same size and fitment as the rear so I had to get on to them and insist that they sent the right ones. At first they wanted me to send it all back to them but I went into one and forcibly explained how long I had waited and insisted that they just made some proper fronts and send them which, to their credit, they did. So, overall it took about 4 months to get it all settled. And I've still got two floating rear discs which they didn't seem to want back.
I went for the Stealth discs because they make all sorts of shapes and look funky on the bike. A lot of people have commented on them already.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

TigerTrax

BlkTiger..
Thanks for the info...
I was really attracted to their 'artwork' and their guaranteed not to warp..advertising. I'l do my best to get a commitment from Stealth if it looks like a go.

I know there are Tiger riders who have had 2 sets of OEM warranted rotors put on their Tigers.... NO WAY will I put a Triumph Rotor back on the bike.

I just spoke with Bike Bandit ... they have EBC rotors for my '06 ( very hard to find) $200 a piece!

Hey.. are a Moderator on RAT: Tiger ?????

TigerTrax

Follow Up on 2006 Tiger Front Rotors : 20,000 miles

I decided to have my Triumph dealer run a dial test and verify if the rotors are warped or not.

Verdict: YES on both counts.
In fact, the allowable tolerance is very MINIMAL, meaning they just need to be out a smidgen ( 64 ten thousanths )

While this was being done the area Triumph rep was there and watched.
I stated that it appears that Triumph is well aware of a warped rotor problem. I had also heard, could not verify, that it was because the rotors were improperly heat treated during manufacture. And finally, I stated that several Tiger riders had replaced OEM rotors twice because of warping.

For those of you who have not experienced a warped rotor 'malady'...
at speed of 35 mph+, applying front brakes creates a 'rapid UP/DN' sensation on the handlebars, as if you were riding over railroad ties.
At slow speed you will feel pulsing in the brake lever.

You verify the warpage using a 'dial indicator'.

I'll let you know what happens.  

Trax

JetdocX

Seriously?  No aftermarket options on these?????

This winter is "brake winter" for the Steamer.  Looks like trouble is coming my way.

Nisin Brakes?  No jap bike has these rotors?  Really? :roll:
From parts unknown.

curt

I replaced my rotors this winter. Also just our of waranty :(  Seems the 2005, 2006 models are sumthin special. The only thing I could find were OEM. So that's what I got and keeping my finger crossed.
I went through the Galfer 2008 catalog No go.
There are some EBC here http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/braking ... -110-c.asp
With the current exchange rate they would be near $500 US plus freight from England.

EDIT: I contacted BikeBandit to see if they can get EBC rotors for 2004, 2005, 2006. I'll post there reply.
Does anybody know the quality of there products?
So many roads, so little time

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Seriously?  No aftermarket options on these?????

This winter is "brake winter" for the Steamer.  Looks like trouble is coming my way.

Nisin Brakes?  No jap bike has these rotors?  Really? :roll:
EBC has rotors for steamers and if I recall correctly around 100 usd each .

why does your steamer need rotors ?

Mustang

Quote from: "TigerTrax"My 2006 Tiger has ROTORWARPISITIS... very bad.

I find 2 (TWO ) manufacturers: Stealth Products/UK  and EBC.
(EBC may no longer have '04-'06 rotors )

Brembo is supposed to have something ... but I could not locate.
Jerry EBC Direct has them listed for tigers with cast wheels
not cheap though , L125 which translates into around 2bills each
part numbers are
MD676LS
MD676RS
and the rear rotor is MD633
they are listed in the ebc catalog and supposedly you can go to any ebc dealer and order them !

TigerTrax

The EBC website stops short of the 2006 Tiger.
Evidently Triumph once again took a 'hard left' to make things difficult for Tiger riders.

So I contacted EBC and their Customer service rep said the website does not show the complete line-up, but they do have '06 rotors. I asked him if  he was 'dead certain' these are the correct numbers... he said yes.

MD666 LS  Front LEFT Rotor   EBC# 4085649-001   $192.55

MD646 RS Front RIGHT Rotor  EBC# 5198004-001  $193.45

curt

QuoteJerry EBC Direct has them listed for tigers with cast wheels
not cheap though , L125 which translates into around 2bills each
part numbers are
MD676LS
MD676RS
and the rear rotor is MD633
they are listed in the ebc catalog and supposedly you can go to any ebc dealer and order them !

Those EBC numbers match their catalog.
I tried to get them through a dealer here and they said they were not stocked in the states and could not get them. Hmmmm

QuoteNisin Brakes? No jap bike has these rotors? Really?

I searched the EBC parts list, this is the only bike on their list using these rotors. That explains why they are so hard to find. Hard to believe this is the only bike using these.

Mustang

Quote from: "TigerTrax"So I contacted EBC and their Customer service rep said the website does not show the complete line-up, but they do have '06 rotors. I asked him if  he was 'dead certain' these are the correct numbers... he said yes.

MD666 LS  Front LEFT Rotor   EBC# 4085649-001   $192.55

MD646 RS Front RIGHT Rotor  EBC# 5198004-001  $193.45
Jerry these #'s make no sense to the ebc catalog
I can't even find a md666ls for any triumph and an MD646rs fits trophy and sprint which have thicker rotors than tigers by .5 mm
The catalog shows MD676ls and rs for a tiger with cast wheels
the catalog is here see for yourself http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/USA%2008%20MC%20cat.pdf

curt

QuoteThe catalog shows MD676ls and rs for a tiger with cast wheels
the catalog is here see for yourself http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/USA%2008%20MC%20cat.pdf

Like he said. looks right to me also. Now do they have them in stock for those that need them? and I hope it's not me in 10k miles.

Update:
Here is BikeBandits response.
QuoteHello Curtis,

Thank you for writing.  Unfortunately, we do not offer any aftermarket rotor for your Tiger from any brand.  EBC does offer the MD-676 for your bike, but we are not able to order this item.  We would suggest contacting EBC and locating a delaer that carries that particular rotor.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm waiting to here back from EBC

Curtis

TigerTrax

I got home this eve and my dealer faxed me info from Rocky-Tucker catalog:

MD676 LS and RS .... from EBC.
SO ... I am perplexed.....

I called the dealer and she said the rotors are on backorder from TR (?)
I said I would fax her an order for rotors, pads, and new bolts.

**** NOTE:
        Triumph mech said it is best to heat the bolts before you try and remove them. This is to soften the threadlok material on the bolt. They
highly recommended installing new bolts... *** Those things are $10 ea and there is 10 of them!!
I may pass on that!

curt

QuoteThey
highly recommended installing new bolts... *** Those things are $10 ea and there is 10 of them!!

Ouch :shock: kinda hurts. When I ordered my rotors, I said get the bolts, never thought about asking how much. I thought I learned long ago not to assume anything.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"why does your steamer need rotors ?

Because I ride like an idiot?? :P

I think I measured them last winter during the majority of the rework and they were close to the wear limit.  Plus the linings are going to need replacing this year as well.

I'm putting this off as long as I can.  And I'm not buying new fookin' bolts.  Loctite is your friend. :wink:
From parts unknown.