News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 Carb Rebuild Kits??

Started by JetdocX, May 03, 2008, 06:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Anyone know of a kit I can buy or do I need to order gaskets, orings etc separately?

My 98 is now getting 31 mpg and blowing black soot on acceleration.  I think it's time to go through the carbs and rejet as required to make my latest intake ideas workable.

I thought the air filter was clogged from riding in the dust, but a new filter did not fix the rich running.

I hate carbs! :roll:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

I just rode my tiger all over the US from elevations of sea level all the way to 11,000 foot and my steamer ran like a trooper everywhere . the only problem was with a headwind so bad in Texas and NM that had me down to 30 mpg , normal mileage was low 40's (ran her hard at 80mph all day )
I have 100 's for main jets , pilots are stock and the needles are set .030 higher than they came stock . pilot screws are set at 2 1/4 turns . This is with the bone stock triumph masterpiece of engineering air filter and ductwork

Back to your question , I know of nowhere to get parts other than maybe directly from Keihin ?EDIT ** do a google search for Keihin carb parts lot's of hits come up **

If your bike is blowing soot perhaps one of the pilot screws has moved or maybe the needle jets are worn or the needles themselfs are worn . float hieght can cause a too rich condition also
When was the last time the carbs were synced with a carb stick . I use the Morgan carbtune and it works the balls !
How many miles on bike ?
Unless you have done shitloads of miles without an airfilter I would have to assume that they are not worn just need to be set right ???

I have over 50k on my steamer and it just purrs with the above settings
if I keep my speed at 60mph or below (like that ever happens LOL)I get 50 + mpg
normal for me is about 42 mpg and if I hump her hard she gets 35 mpg

JetdocX

Thanks for the settings.  I am probably the most incompetent carb guy you have never met.  I've never heard of a low end adjustment screw moving, but it's a good place to start since the bike has been rich since I bought it.

I'm going over to a pal's house today to try and get it figured out.  He's an old-school MC wrench.  We'll get the carbs synched and go from there.

We'll see.

And you rode all over the US and did you come through my 'hood and not call? :P
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Guilty even spent the night in Reno I was so cold when I got there the price for the room didn't deter me from staying ! LOL

JetdocX

It's OK, I was probably busy being cold in NM or AZ or Southern Nevada myself. :wink:

Don't let it happen again! :P
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

My pal Kevin said he's gonna fix my bike right up for me and get it dialed to within a gnat's ass. 8)

He even gave me one of his many bikes to ride as a loaner.

Yikes!  This thing is like riding an engine with two wheels!

Fat white guys should not be riding squidly bikes like this, FWIW.  :lol:
From parts unknown.