News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition Crap Out

Started by hupomatic, May 04, 2008, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hupomatic

While riding home today with a load of groceries, my bike just up and died. I had blinkers and horn but no dash light, not even a click from the starter. I did the usual crap, i.e. check the fuses, jiggle everything, curse, cry, etc. all to no avail. I finally jiggled the ignition and presto, everything came back on. I was only a mile from a shop where my friend wrenches so I hightailed it over there, only to have it crap out again.

More jiggling ensued and it started,  but now accompanied by a burning electrical smell and smoke from the ignition. I made it to the shop and when I went to turn off the bike I realized the key was already in the off position. I pulled it out and the bike kept running. Weird.

So, what am I in for? New ignition? Three keys instead of merely two?

p.s. This is my first post here. Be gentle.

Stretch

Nah, just a new switch, it sounds like.  Looks to be $173 bucks from Bike Bandit.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts

The new switch should come with its own key, so yeah, you'll probably have to keep the old ignition key for the gas cap and seat lock.

TigerTrax

If you have not purchased a new switch.... there may be an easy fix for you.

Remove the switch and take it apart exposing the wires.

My money says you'll find a broken solder point with a wire making
partial contact.

Then... go buy some beer!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'