News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlights

Started by HappyMan, May 05, 2008, 04:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

I ride in the rain a lot and finally got to run the Tigger in some good down pours this last Friday.  A good chance to make sure my panniers and tank bags were thoroughly water proofed.  

Unfortunately it tested another part of my bike.  I was out riding with some friends today and one of them pointed out that my left head light was foggy.  It had gotten water in it.  I pulled it apart tonight to see that the cold water had also blown apart the high beam.  So after pulling all the glass out and drying it out as well as cleaning it I'm ready to put it back together.  Looks like a standard H4 bulb.  I'll pick one up tomorrow.  Now the question.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a standard fix.  Upon investigation I can't see any obvious reason for water getting inside.  I'll plan on either using grease or silicone around the obvious parts that might have leaked.  Any reason I shouldn't use silicone?  Should I use white grease instead?  I've never sealed a headlight before.....I'm up for suggestions.  I ride in the rain often so I don't need to have this happen again.  :(
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

sanjoh

I road through torrential rain for several hours, two days in a row, no problems with lights.  I even had one that was busted up and duct taped.

When I replaced the broken light, the parking light boots where rotten so I taped over the holes.  Make sure the rubber boots on the H4 is in good shape.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

HappyMan

Perhaps it wasn't seated properly.  I'm just guessing that the bulb broke because of the water.  I could be wrong.  I don't ride at night much at all and in fact rode it for the first time as the sun was going down on Saturday so I had nothing to compare it to and didn't notice any problems.  For all I know it busted today while I was riding wheelies.   :twisted:   Just trying to make that front tire last as long as possible.... :headbang

Digger3

Happyman,
The light itself is completely sealed, I'd check around the edges to make sure it hasn't separated though.  The rubber boots that go around the back connector have a drain (just a small channel) molded into them, check to make sure that it is at the bottom (versus the top) on both lights.  My best guess.

D
Rage Against Age

HappyMan

I put it back together yesterday and could not find any reason for leaking but suspected the same thing so I re-sealed the light and ran grease under the boot as well.  I had taken the boot off the  night before and do not remember it being upside down but was not looking for that.  Either way, it's correct now.  Thanks!

ThreePutt

It sounds like you've got it sorted out. I've never had any trouble in the rain. I hope yours was a one time deal.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT