News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bad fuel gauge - sending unit

Started by AndyM, May 10, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyM

Does anyone know what goes wrong with the sending unit when it goes whack? I've pulled it out of the tank and there's not much to it, a float and a circuit board? Getting tired of watching the gauge go up and down all the time for no reason. I've got black tape over the light now. I almost wouldn't mind spending the $92 for a new sending unit if I could knoe for sure it wouldn't fail after 55k miles like the first one.
Bike is an 03 Girly with 56k miles.

iansoady

The newer one has a float made out of a different material. The old one was aa white sponge-like substance, the newer one is grey and smoother-surfaced.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

AndyM

I talked to my local dealer and according to him Triumph has never heard or been made aware of any problem with the sending units or gas gauges  :roll: . So I bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

Stretch

Pheh.  BMW werke has never heard of a final-drive failure either.

doc

i just had mine replaced under waranty on a 2006. it still drops to empty with 8-9 liters still in the tank. my tank also had two chips in the paint after the dealer was done. :x  i am going to use the trip meter and forget about the fuel gauge.
cheers, doc