News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carb diagnosis question on my 96

Started by Dr. Mordo, June 06, 2008, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Sorry, maybe have do the carb work yourself?  Seems like someone knackered the job the first time?  Maybe?
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I read somewhere that the needle jets in the Mikunis will wear out, and that one of the symptoms is the bike running very rich (as in blowing smoke rich).    

But it's true that I don't know the history of the bike.  I've met two of the three owners, but the one in the middle when the bike broke is MIA.  So exactly why he gave up on it is a mystery.  I had assumed it was the sprag clutch that broke his will to fix it, but it may have been the sprag compounded by carb problems.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

pit0rz

:BangHead You know guys, they have a fix for all of your Steamer woes...

:pottytrain2  :eusa_dance   :icon_salut   :lol:   :hat10   :qgreenjumpers
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Mustang

do you put mascara on those eyebrows  :ImaPoser
at least it wasn't a snot green one

:twisted:

JetdocX

I've ridden the Girly (even that color).  The ergos are wrong for me.  I'd hate it after about an hour.

Then there's the whole "testicular shrinkage" thing that come with riding one of those "pretty bikes". :P
From parts unknown.

pit0rz

Quote from: "JetdocX"...Then there's the whole "testicular shrinkage" thing that come with riding one of those "pretty bikes". :P

Not a problem for those of us secure in our manhood!  :thumbsup

You know I'm just funnin' yas!  :wink:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Dr. Mordo

I love the Steamer, but I'd own a Girly in a second if the price and color were right.  Mine would have to be silver or black.

Whatever the new Tigers are called (Electrics?), Triumph can keep 'em.  They do nothing for me.

Ok, I'm off to work on my bike.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Dr. Mordo

Well, I'm 90% certain the needle jet is the problem.  With rough tweaking of the float and pilot screw I have gotten the bike running fairly well with needle dropped a notch.  I ordered a skew-driver to really dial it in.  Early on Mustang said needle, but I, not knowing much about carbs, thought he meant the needle attached to the float.  So, Mustang was right all along, I just wasn't smart enough to know it.

You guys kick ass.  When I finally ride it around I'll up some pics.

Hopefully I won't have any more questions for a while.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

I like to see progress! :D

Keep at it and you may find your problem.  Please let us know what it is.
From parts unknown.

Mudhen

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"I read somewhere that the needle jets in the Mikunis will wear out, and that one of the symptoms is the bike running very rich (as in blowing smoke rich).    

I replaced mine...got me back about 5mpg - and that was just the emulsion tubes, I didn't go through them to dial them in after...still need to do that.

Supposedly they can wear out in only 5k miles...of course, this news is brought to you by the same people trying to sell them to you...

http://www.factorypro.com/
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

One question for you carb tinkerers...how the heck do you know they're running rich/lean?  Just running it for awhile and looking at the plugs?  I can't imagine doing that on a Steamer...
\'96 Steamer

Dr. Mordo

Well, I am obviously no expert, but if you open the throttle from idle, and the bike bogs that is an indication of a problem.  If when it bogs you see black smoke, that means it's running rich.  If it bogs and you don't see any smoke but hear some light popping (which is actually a small backfire) that means it's lean.  

Also, if anytime you are riding you let off the throttle and it drops down to idle with some popping, that popping is indicative of a lean running bike.  Often abike (or car,too) runs lean because of leaks letting air into the system - i.e. cracks in the rubber intake manifolds or a vacuum line left off.

With my bike, I fired it up and it started to run like crap after 10-15 mins, and when I pulled the plugs one of them was no longer firing because it had so much black gunk on it from running extremely rich.  So, yes I have been pulling the plug every time I test it to see if I am making progress with my tinkering.  And yes it is a PITA, but not as much as pulling and draining the carbs to make an adjustment!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

nightrunner

On tuning, you can also start with a set up (pilot/main/needle position/mixture screw position/any airbox mods/exhaust) that someone else is using and has dialed in about right, and just copy that.  It still may need some minor tweeking from there but at least you'll be close.  Can also have a dyno shop do the fine tuning.  There are several threads here about carb tuning.   But yes, its tough to do without some sort of feedback like measuring exhaust carbon monoxide or O2.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mudhen

I had mine done at a dyno shop ($ouch.00)...and brought in a printout of someone else's settings.  Funny...after all the bitching and ranting the guy did about, 'you can't trust everything you read on the Interweb, every bike is different, blah, blah, blah...' the solution he arrived at was strangely similar to what I gave him...
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Funny...after all the bitching and ranting the guy did about, 'you can't trust everything you read on the Interweb, every bike is different, blah, blah, blah...' the solution he arrived at was strangely similar to what I gave him...
Imagine that !  :shock: