News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shift shaft bearing

Started by Mudhen, March 21, 2008, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Has anyone replaced the bearing for the shift shaft in the front sprocket cover?  I pulled the seal and was going to replace the bearing 'which just sits in there, doesn't press in' according to the dealer...but I can't seem to get it to fall out...should it?

Can't locate anything on it in the manual either...they talk about replacing the seal but not the bearing.

Thanks.
\'96 Steamer

aeronca

hey bro, i've been looking hard and can't seem to find anything about the bearing. it looks like it should fall out. i did see some retaining bolts on page 2.49 through 2.52 in the haynes manual, but dont know if your using this book????? is it the input rod to the trany or the actual shift lever?    good luck.   eric :?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

Finally got this out yesterday...with the help of Zahi.  We used a T55 Torx bit...it was just small enough to fit past the edge of the cover but big enough to grab the bearing.  We hammered it out, then used a press to press the new one in.  Most definitely does not just fall out like the dealer said...not sure why I'd listen to the parts guy that has been there for 6 months, anyway... :roll:

(figured I'd update this thread in case someone in the future searches on it)
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

most bike shops don't even have good mechanics (most shops can't afford or won't pay decent enuff wages ), they are just punk kids for the most part and have no real world experience ......and the parts guy will tell you anything you want to hear !
All bearings no matter what they are for have to have a resistance fit at the least or else the bearing would just spin in the bore and be well ........useless .

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"All bearings no matter what they are for have to have a resistance fit at the least or else the bearing would just spin in the bore and be well ........useless .

lol...well, now you put it that way...kinda makes sense  :-)
\'96 Steamer

nightrunner

For the benefit of the first-timers who might find this on a search, when you go to drive the new bearing in place, make sure you press (or pound) on the outer edge of the bearing so as not to put any sideways force or impacts on the rollers/balls.   Likewise press on the inner edge if you are pressing a bearing onto a shaft.  Just sayin'

Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Stretch

Agreed.  As in life, don't strain your balls.