News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

when love turns to hate....

Started by tattyTigger, June 16, 2008, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tattyTigger

I recently got this big blue Steamer, been after a 'big trailie' for some time, loved it, far to heavy to 'off road' in my opinion, I do a lot of dirt biking btw  :wink: , still I loved it all the same, until it came to service it,...

...hmm, no 'cradle frame', have to take the pipes off to jack  :?

..hmm, can't get at the middle spark plug becuase of the frame, oh look the 'captive nuts' are turning in the tank and I can't get the fairing off and I'm now totally f*#ked, I hate this bike now and can wait to get rid  :twisted:

Mustang

Quote from: "tattyTigger"...hmm, no 'cradle frame', have to take the pipes off to jack  :?

..hmm, can't get at the middle spark plug becuase of the frame, oh look the 'captive nuts' are turning in the tank and I can't get the fairing off and I'm now totally f*#ked, I hate this bike now and can wait to get rid  :twisted:

the pipes can stay on to jack it up and you CAN get the center plug out and there is a fix for the captive nuts....................but the BIG QUESTION IS Where are you located and HOW MUCH $

tattyTigger

and the fix for the captive nuts is???

Mustang

well I can't tell you if I want you to sell it to me   :ImaPoser

Heres how to fix the spinning nut with a cordless drill chuck on a hex key bit that fits the screw and then wind that baby up until the plastic starts to melt . now you can stop here and let the plastic harden back up until presto it bites on the nut and if that doesn't work  then you need to repeat and this time while spinning the nut in the soft gooey plastic yank it out . then epoxy the nut back in place with some JB Weld .

Now remember if you get overzealous with the melted plastic you could end up with more than you bargained for and have gas pissing everywhere  :shock:

JetdocX

Yeah, it take patience and skill to work on this bike and even more patience.  If you don't have any, you need to sell that bike quickly.

I'll give ya $500 and a case of Old Milwaukie for it. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Yeah, it take patience and skill to work on this bike and even more patience.  If you don't have any, you need to sell that bike quickly.to Mustang

:
fixed

nightrunner

Hmmmm.  Always wanted a blue one (and a red one).  You may have to bid for it Mustang   :D  :D  :D  Pics please.

On the thred inserts, if they are shot, there are such things as nut rivets and other sorts of thread inserts that can be glued in.  Some shmuck overtightened them at some point.   I was lucky with mine.  Two prior owners and only 2900 miles.  It was a garage ornament.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Hooligan

did I hear Steamer for sale?
Where?
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mudhen

These guys are a bunch of yahoos...I'm the only real buyer, right here.  $600 and a case of Milwaukee's BEST.

Personally, I just lopped off the heads of the bolts on the 2 nut inserts that were spinning on mine.  I use them as studs...works great to hold the panel in place while I'm putting the other bolts in.

You located in the northeast?
\'96 Steamer

tattyTigger

thanks, I'll try the heating of the now 'studs' trick, getting a second hand tank just in case, sorry guys the bike is in the UK, I'm hopefully using it on a road trip coming up, then I'll prob sell it, think I'll stick to Thumpers in future  :lol: