News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

engine light on!!!

Started by miltos, July 08, 2008, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miltos

Hi,riding yday back home from work,bike fired ok...a bit flat though so i thought when home i'll charge the battery. After some miles i realised needles on mph & revs...off, temp needle on to H, no lights, no horn...after some time both engine light/petrol light on, the engine starting to poomphhh,pooomphhhh off. Charging the battery stays on yellow/weak!! (optimizer), engine fires up but Engine light still on!!!
What is going on, is it anything i can change so i replace it myself or if i get the engine on can the bike take me to nearest garage? with the eng light on? if it is the ECU can the garage see to it?
Thank you ever so much guys!!!! Urgent help needed!!!!! :(
always Triumph

Stretch

Do you have access to a voltmeter?  

Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the bike off, and again with the engine running.  The battery ought to measure no lower than 11.5 volts when off, and the voltmeter should jump up a couple volts once the engine is running, to 13.5 - 14 volts.

If the voltage stays at or below 12 volts even with the engine running, your charging system is suspect (as if you didn't know).  A fried stator is not unheard of... there are a couple guys here who have had issues with the stator going bad, although it's not common enough to be considered a true weak point in the bike's design.  It happens with other bikes as well.

There are a couple places on the western side of The Big Pond that specialize in this sort of thing (rebuilding and rewinding stators), but the shipping to and from the USA may be cost-prohibitive.

HockleyBoy

Noticed this on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alternator-winding-for-Triumph-Tiger-955i-2001_W0QQitemZ180260904685QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180260904685&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Might be worth buying just in case if it stays cheap enough as I bet they cost loads at the dealers!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

miltos

Thank you guys, im going to take it to garage today for check-up, will see the outcome. Hope for the best!!??Cheers
always Triumph

NortonCharlie

The check engine light will come on with a low battery fault and will clear itself after 3 warm up cycles if the fault is removed.  

A loose battery terminal would cause the symptoms you described
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

german

Hi,

I recommend you to check the alternator phases, I had experimented the same symptoms, measuring the alternator phases, I saw that one of them was unbalanced, some times goes down when I was riding.

In my case, one of the alternator stator phase was degraded, not precisely short circuit.

Another option, is to fit correctly the alternator/ regulator connections.

keep me  inform if you find something estrange
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

miltos

Thank you all, i charged the battery with opt/zer, turn engine on, eng.light still on, on the optimizer the turned to RED!!!like the battery is out of duty. Disconnected the optimizer engine run ok. I started the bike after some minutes without op/zer connected, engine turned on!!!but still engine light on. Strange things these engines.
Do you think if i ride it to the garage, the bike will shut off after sometime?
Thanks again and i'll keep you informed.
always Triumph

miltos

Hi, i got the bike back today! They said it was alternator/rectifier, changed everything fine...but the engine/light still on!! They cannot do anything about it as they dont have diagnostic tool for Triumph. Why is that on they dont know at the moment, said i can run the bike but has to be checked, maybe is not a big job for a dealer to turn it off!!
Is there anything i can check or do? No Triumph dealers around, for the uk residents,next one is York (A1 Moto). How much it costs to be checked?
Thank you again guys!!!
always Triumph

NortonCharlie

If the fault is fixed your light will go away after 3 heat up cool down cycles, if it stays on after that there is likely another fault.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chad M

If you want to reset the light, just go to your local garage and ask them to connect an OBD2 reader to the bike (under the rear seat).  Confirm your trouble codes and then erase them.  You don't need the Triumph tool to do this.  I finally got fed up of seeing my light on and bought the tool for myself ($149).  I cross checked my factory manual codes with the code book supplied with the reader and they are accurate.  The other nice thing about the factory manual is there are tests to perform when you identify a fault... I had grounding issue with my coolant temp sensor P0118.  It's nice not to have to wait for 3 cycles for that light to go out now!
Chad.

Stretch

Autozone stores will do this for free.  They've done it on a couple other vehicles of mine.  There may be a question as to whether their hand-held diagnostic computer is compatible with Triumph's system, but hey, what have you got to lose?  It's free.

miltos

Hi, just a stupid question...can a car garage do that or has to be a motorbike one? Thanks a lot for all the help.
always Triumph

Stretch

Whups, not a lot of Autozone stores in the UK.  Disregard my last.  :oops:

A lack of situational awareness, as we sometimes say...  :mrgreen:

Chad M

Quote from: "miltos"Hi, just a stupid question...can a car garage do that or has to be a motorbike one? Thanks a lot for all the help.

The ODB2 reader I bought has no mention of motorcycles on it at all.  It just says Asian, American and European vehicles 1996 and later.  I would say any car garage with the above noted reader could scan the bike.  Some shops do have specific readers for specific vehicles.  A generalist type shop should be of some use.

miltos

Hi, this morning light turned off, i think because of- after 3 heat up cool down cycles-thank god for that!!!Thank you all for your help, really pleased!!!Thanks again...
always Triumph