News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I want a GS!

Started by Mudhen, July 16, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Shite....here we go again.  Do you think when Triumph comes out with the Tiger 675 Adventure we'll get events like this?

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/xplorgs/tunisia.jsp

Holy crap...I want a GS again, just so I can participate.  I don't care that they're half the off road bike my Steamer is...
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

You want a GS, but you don't want the canbus.  :roll:
From parts unknown.

tigerrider

It's their best selling bike in just about all markets now, right?

Maybe if they Tiger was the flagship of Triumph we'd see the same cool stuff?

/Hell, I'da been happy if they would have just kept at refining the Steamer and not having 3 totally different models over the model lifespan.

Stretch

Quote from: "tigerrider"/Hell, I'da been happy if they would have just kept at refining the Steamer and not having 3 totally different models over the model lifespan.

But BMW has done similar with the GS... air head, oil head, and hex head, with five different displacments:  800, 1000, ,1100, 1150, 1200

And they don't have the bike right yet!    :ImaPoser

JetdocX

They got pretty close with the F650, and then discontinued it.   :?
From parts unknown.

Stretch

I forgot about the F___GS bikes... 650 and 800

Mudhen

I didn't like the F650 Dakar I had...got beat up by the wind on the highway and had no nuts.

I'll accept the extra (70?) lbs to get 100% more hp.

The F800GS numbers look awesome, though...
\'96 Steamer

Stretch

I threw a leg over an F800GS at a show this past February.  I liked it... parallel twin, chain drive, decent suspension.  

BUT

It uses CANbus.  Bye.

Mudhen

The future is in the Can...accept it...
\'96 Steamer

Stretch

Maybe once manufacturers put some more research and development into the systems so that the damned computer doesn't scram when you jump-start the bike, etc.

The systems are just too finicky for now.  I thought I wanted a GS (pre-Tiger) until I started reading on Motorrad and ADV about guys whose bikes suffered total electrical failures while in the middle of a trip, and spent their vacation days in a motel room waiting on the local BMW dealer to (a) figure out the problem, (b) get permission from BMW Motorwerke to do the warranty work, (c) wait on parts, and (d) the repair itself.

Screw that.  If BMW dealers can't figure out how to make the damned things work, I'm surely not interested in spending any of my hard-earned coin on one of their bikes.

The only way around that (it seems) is for the owners of CANbus-equipped bikes to install auxiliary fuse blocks straight to the battery, essentially having two electrical systems:  One for the bike, and one for the accessories.  This from a 16,000-dollar bike.   :roll:

Count me out.

HappyMan

I was putting my money down on the 800 when I decided the price was too stupid and I'd wait a few years to buy a used one.  It's a beautiful bike from what I hear and I look forward to owning one some day.  As for the CanBus, it's like many other stories you hear....you only hear about the bad and it makes you think they'll all fail but it's like winning the lottery.  I use CanBus for a living and it's very much a standard in our industry.  It's solid.  That doesn't mean BMW has it right but Beemer owners piss and moan a lot and blow things out of proportion.  It wouldn't keep me from buying one.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

JetdocX

The one and only reason BMW put a CANbus on those bikes is to require a dealer visit every time anything goes wrong.

Of all the cool things they could have done with it, they missed the mark by a long shot.

There is no reason for this kind of complexity on a simple motorcycle. :evil:
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

Then of course....
BMW does build an adventure bike.....

sorry...... 3 of them!

Triumph had a good jump......
a. They failed to understand the market.
OR
b. They didn't want that market.

So now... the Dual-Sport Tiger is a
street Hooligan with long legs.

Word is that at AMA Vintage Days next week...
Triumph is introducing a 1700cc KRUZER.....
If so... I'll bet it's RETRO or '68'.

Where can I buy some handlebar fringe!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mudhen

Do you think if they came out with an adventurized version of the 675...properly kitted with wheel options, hard luggage options, skidplate/crashbar options, big tank?, (insert your favorite stuff here) options...it would be like a bomb going off in the adventure bike market?

For $9k-$10k outfitted do you think they'd be able to make them fast enough?  Think they'd pull GS buyers away hand over fist?  Or are most of those people just too mesmerized by the roundel?

Just turned into another Tiger Adventure dreaming thread I suppose.  And even if they did make it they'd never put on cool events like BMW does - but I'd love to be on the Great Bay RallyMoto Team...
\'96 Steamer

HappyMan

I agree that the only reason they put CanBus on is to require dealer visits.  I work with German Mfgs and they are ALL that controling.  It's part of the culture I suppose.  We can  complain about them or realize that there are some great benefits too.  I know that sometimes it's hard to see that and that's just human nature.  I cuss and bless it sometimes at the same time.....

As for whether the bike would be a bomb....I think it could but you are right about many being mesmorized by the Roundel.  I'd take the Tiger over a BMW GS because of the cost and if they cost the same I'd have to flip a coin.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com