News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I want a GS!

Started by Mudhen, July 16, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Also, for many people Triumph = maintenance problems, so they are scared to buy one.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

HappyMan

I would agree with that.  That's usually the second comment I get from people.  "A Triumph!  Cool!!! How's the maintainence?"

So far I've found the bike quite easy to work on.  Some things were easier on my Boxer others not.  I do prefer a chain drive though many think it's a pain.

I think Triumph could make a killer dual purpose bike.  Both a Tiger and a Tiger Cub.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mudhen

Quote from: "HappyMan"I do prefer a chain drive though many think it's a pain.

I always ask the guys that got the shaft how easy it is to change gearing to suit their riding style...

Mine got easier after some recent dremel work:

\'96 Steamer

HappyMan

Exactly!  I love the chain for what I can easily do with it.  I cary spare sprockets with my DR and it's a two minute change out.  I haven't messed with the gearing on the Tigger but I like knowing that I can if I feel like it.  Shaft drive....Heavy, hard to work on, expensive.....any way you slice it your getting "the shaft".  :roll:

JetdocX

Dude, I don't get along with my local BMW dealer right now.  Imagine how happy it would make me to have to drag that thing in there every time the blinkers don't talk to the tail light thus rendering the headlight inop. causing the almighty brain to shut the engine down "for my own good" because it's unsafe to ride without a headlight. :roll:  I don't need that kind of control in my life, thanks.

I'll readily admit I've had my share of maintenance problems with my Steamer compared to my F650 (no CANbus).  But adding one more highly flaky system to the BMW's is a step in the wrong direction and one step closer to high maintenance, IMO.
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

I can relate to not getting along with the BMW dealer.  What's up with some of these guys?  I just prefer to do my own maintainence.  The more expensive the bike the less likely I'll be able to do that.  Kind of like my cars.....

BR

Hey Mudhen,
Nice work on your sprocket cover....  hard to tell from the pic, but will you have anything left to actually cover the sprocket??
Is that an OEM size sprocket?
Man, that oil-fill and dip stick placement is so piss poor it makes me want to eliminate the whole thing and have a filler hole welded into the clutch cover.  Of course, then there is the issue of how to check the oil....(add in a site glass somewhere?  :wink:  )
Btw, I've got my '98 back up and running with once again clean carbs and the Daytona coil sticks I bought a while back.... running great again.

Brendan
'98 BRG Tiger
San Jose, CA

JetdocX

Brendan,
We should go for a ride next time I have my Steamer down that way. :D

I rode down last week, but the heat was so oppressive I didn't do any extra-ciricular riding. :cry:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Mudhen, that sprocket cover-ectomy looks sharp.

My F650 only had a flimsy piece of Touratech aluminum covering the CS sprog.  

What's the purpose of a cover if it's made of Bavarian cream cheese? :?
From parts unknown.

tigerrider

Quote from: "Stretch"
Quote from: "tigerrider"/Hell, I'da been happy if they would have just kept at refining the Steamer and not having 3 totally different models over the model lifespan.

But BMW has done similar with the GS... air head, oil head, and hex head, with five different displacments:  800, 1000, ,1100, 1150, 1200

And they don't have the bike right yet!    :ImaPoser

It's evolved over time for sure, but the 3 Tiger generations are vastly different in my opinion.

Mudhen

Quote from: "BR"Hey Mudhen,
Nice work on your sprocket cover....  hard to tell from the pic, but will you have anything left to actually cover the sprocket??
Is that an OEM size sprocket?
Man, that oil-fill and dip stick placement is so piss poor it makes me want to eliminate the whole thing and have a filler hole welded into the clutch cover.  Of course, then there is the issue of how to check the oil....(add in a site glass somewhere?  :wink:  )
Btw, I've got my '98 back up and running with once again clean carbs and the Daytona coil sticks I bought a while back.... running great again.

Brendan
'98 BRG Tiger
San Jose, CA

I've got a cover on order from XRs Only...if they could ever get me the right one!  Then I'll need to make up some sort of bracket to hold it.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to cover the dipstick hole.  The rubber push plug isn't good enough.  Just not sure what to do yet.  The two issues are that it's tapered, and it isn't round.

Checking the oil is easy, though - I pull the plug and stick my finger down there.  Actually thinking about having some lines tatooed on my pinky as a guage...  :D
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

I don't think a tat is necessary.  IMO, if you see oil down there, you have more than enough oil to go.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"I'm also trying to figure out the best way to cover the dipstick hole.  The rubber push plug isn't good enough.  Just not sure what to do yet.  The two issues are that it's tapered, and it isn't round.

Checking the oil is easy, though - I pull the plug and stick my finger down there.  Actually thinking about having some lines tatooed on my pinky as a guage...  :D
two words ..............PIPE TAP maybe something like a 1/2 or 3/4 inch tap depending on the diameter of the existing hole and then you can get a plug from the hardware store , brass so it won't rust .

and if your crafty you could make a dipstick at the same time ....................OR Just ride it to my house & It'll be a done deal !