News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

better brakes for my 98?

Started by tgrrdr, July 25, 2008, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgrrdr

One good thing about the R1200RT I sold in October was the brakes - puts my 98 Tiger's to shame. Since the fall when I started riding my Tiger more again I've been thinking about better brakes.

I found one thread that has some after market rotors but I don't know how much of an improvement that would be.  I'm wondering if I could fit calipers from another bike (maybe another older Triumph?) and if that would improve the braking?

Any ideas what to consider or where to look would be appreciated.

thanks,
Bill
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

JetdocX

Try some different pads.  Galfer green pads come to mind for use on the front.  They will wear faster than OEM, but that's how it works.

Also, how long has it been since your brake fluid has been changed?  Rotor condition?
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Once you've swapped in some better pads, if you're still interested in increasing front brake power, try a master cylinder with a smaller bore.  That's the way you gain mechanical advantage in a hydraulic system... smaller master cylinder bore / bigger slave cylinder bore.

Magura and others manufacture aftermarket front master cylinders of varying bores and designs... even radial designs, which offer increased mechanical advantage from the lever to the cylinder itself.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/mc_ca.cfm

Dr. Mordo

What I have heard is that if you want maximum grab, you want Sintered pads.  However, these grab because they have metal particles in the pad so they wear out the disc faster.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger